Students appear un-enthused about 2007-08 Bryan Series speakers

Some of the players: Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman. Oklahoma’s U.S. Representative from 1994-2002. The author of the New York Times best seller “All The President’s Men.”

They are better known as Jane Seymour, J.C. Watts, and Carl Bernstein.

The query: are these semi-significant, socio-political figures in contemporary culture going to spur enough interest or excitement among Guilford students to get them to attend their presentations? The answer: it’s debatable.

This year’s Bryan Series speakers, while all accomplished and dedicated to worthy causes – AIDS relief, exposing corrupt politicians, and protecting women’s rights – haven’t exactly triggered student enthusiasm.

Speakers from previous years have included Desmond Tutu, Madeleine Albright, and Colin Powell. When they appeared, all of them had recently been in the limelight. In comparison to past speakers, this year’s guests are less culturally relevant, and they don’t motivate Guilford students to leave campus and hitch a ride to the War Memorial Greensboro Coliseum.

So, did Guilford decide all of a sudden to lower the bar for speakers that they bring in for their highly acclaimed Bryan Series? Probably not. The more appropriate question would be whether or not Guilford receives adequate student input about what speakers they choose to recruit for the Bryan Series.

There is already a great deal of student-administrative communication on campus, but there could be more. More efficient communication between students and the administration could integrate student input with administrative interests in regards to the selection of the speakers.

Now for some solutions and suggestions. Most importantly, those making the selection should survey students about the types of people that they would like have come in and speak to the campus community (within reason of course, no one is expecting Sean Penn to come in and talk about how empowering it is to go around New Orleans with a camera crew of 5 to capture his picking up a piece of debris from a roof near the bayou). Additionally, the survey should include the kinds of issues that students would like to see addressed during the speakers’ presentations.

For future Bryan Series speakers, perhaps Keith Stroup, the founder of NORML (National Organization for Reform of Marijuana Laws) could come talk about grassroots social action and community organizing. His presence would be appropriate since Guilford was ranked #13 for reefer madness in the Princeton Review.

Additionally, having someone along the lines of pop-culture essayist Chuck Klosterman come in and speak would be appropriate. Even though some students may not have heard of him, what 18-22 year old, (or anyone older who cares to reflect on their younger days) with raging hormones and an appetite for sugary cereal and cheap marijuana wouldn’t want to hear the author of the book “Sex, Drugs, and Coca Puffs” speak? You tell me.

Or, better yet, tell the administration.