Faculty Creativity Goes on Display

Many college professors do not have a chance to show students and their community their inspirational artwork. Guilford College is different.

Guilford’s faculty has proven yet again that they can provide a unique art exhibit for students and the community. The exhibit is on display from Aug. 20 to Oct. 10 in the art gallery in Hege Library, with a reception there on Friday, Sept. 7 at 5 p.m.
On Wednesday, Sept. 26, there will be an art faculty forum from 7 to 9 p.m. in the evening. The forum will be a chance to ask the artists about their work.The exhibit features many types of artwork from eight professors; including photographs, paintings, drawings, prints, ceramics, mixed-media, sculptures and installations.

“The art is thought provoking,” said sophomore Miriam Sewell.

The art has a hint of both traditional and nontraditional aspects. The artists have tried new techniques. And the exhibit does not have a particular theme, allowing the artists to experiment.

The exhibit features great diversity. However, there are also similarities in each artist’s pieces. For example, some artists have incorporated arms and wings in their projects. “Artwork speaks to each others ideas,” said Terry Hammond, the director and curator of the Guilford Art Gallery.

Visiting Assistant Professor of Art Todd Drake, a painter in the exhibit, is selling his six-winged angel. The proceeds will go to art supplies for children in Fort Bragg.
“The angel represents spirituality and life,” Drake said. He wants to make people aware of the effects of war. “Art can be a vehicle that can attract attention to issues.”

Adele Wayman, Hege professor of art, who is currently on sabbatical, has her paintings and mixed media in the show. The Quaker idea of “holding in the light” inspires her art.

Wayman was able to expand her work by not sticking to a particular tradition. “It is fun to create things from domestic and sacred spaces,” she said.

A pamphlet in the gallery explains Wayman’s art thus: “There are worn architectural elements and furniture in the space around the paintings; their peeling paint and scratches are the scars of human use.”
Some faculty members have incorporated found objects it in their work. For example, Wayman found a way to add her childhood doll’s dress that her mother sewed.

Maia Dery, instructor of art, chose to work with kelp. “These three images are part of a larger series directly inspired by my relationships with students,” she said. “I gave myself permission to work with only a single (although beloved) subject, kelp. I feel awe in response to water, kelp, students, the light, and the unseen natural forces that all of these things manifest.”

Nicole McFarlane, writing instructor of English, said that she felt delighted by the art. She knows that students are getting the best instruction by these creative artists. “Student majors are in good hands, getting good mentorship.