Facebook Postings Lead to Judicial Holds

The collegiate career of some members of the incoming freshman class got off to a rocky start this month. While most of their classmates were moving into their rooms and meeting their roommates and neighbors, a small group of first-years were surprised to find judicial holds on their accounts. At check-in, around ten students were told that they had to speak with members of campus life before they could get their room key. In what Alyson Kienle, Associate Sean for Campus Life, described as a “friendly meeting,” the students were confronted about references to drinking and drug use on Facebook. A concerned Guilford student brought the postings to the attention of the administration.

The students were warned about the potential dangers that are associated with drinking and drug abuse and told about the importance of being safe while partying on or off campus. In some cases, the students’ parents were at the meeting, causing a whole new set of problems for the embattled freshman.

While no judicial charges were filed, Kienle wanted to issue a warning to the Guilford community at large, “Students need to think long and hard about how they portray themselves online,” Kienle said.

Many students have expressed concern at Facebook being used as an investigative tool for judicial charges and other disciplinary action. Facebook is often used to for students to make weekend plans, which for many involves drinking and other activities that people might not want deans and other administrators to know about. Other students view the news of Facebook-related disciplinary action as an outrage.

“It’s an indication of the times. Guilford is perpetuating something like a Patriot Act. It’s a total invasion of privacy,” junior Bram Crowe-Getty said. Many students now feel that Facebook is not a safe place to discuss anything and everything. This realization is disheartening to many, in addition to being a little unnerving.

In response to claims that Campus Life is violating privacy, Kienle pointed out that the site is public and open to anyone. Kienle stressed that not only do college administrators have access, but employers are known to check up on their potential hires as well.

Student athletes have also been warned about the potential trouble that pictures and postings on Facebook could cause, as well.

“Our coach told us to take everything off Facebook because of this site Badjocks.com,” said Sam Huff, a junior and member of the men’s soccer team.

The site contains a collection of pictures taken from Facebook and other sites that show athletes at rowdy parties and other would-be problematic events. The site is designed to basically discredit and embarrass student athletes by making them look foolish.

And while Kienle claims that Campus Life will not be snooping around Facebook looking for easy ways to bust partying students, she reminds members of the community that it is accessible to administrators and it is open to being monitored, “I go on usually in cases of harassment on Facebook, so I really use it as a follow up. But I have an account and I do go on,” Kienle said.