Brazil Decides to Offer Free Sex-Reassignment Surgery

For transsexual and transgendered citizens of Brazil, as well as gay activists everywhere, Aug. 22 was a good day.On that day, a federal court in Brazil ruled that sex-reassignment operations are included in the constitutional clause that claims medical care as a basic right and will, therefore, be covered under the state’s free health care system.

The government has 30 days to comply with the court’s decision and offer the procedure or else face fines of US $5,000 a day. Though the government maintains that it lacks the funds to pay for the operations, it will not appeal the decision.

The court said in its ruling that “From the biomedical perspective, transsexuality can be described as a sexual identity disturbance where individuals need to change their sexual designation or face serious consequences in their lives, including intense suffering, mutilation and suicide.”

To qualify for the free operation, patients must be at least 21 years old, diagnosed as transsexuals with no other personality disorders, and must undergo psychiatric evaluation for two years.

“This is a really good thing. It validates the operation as a legitimate procedure, one that’s not just cosmetic but important to a person’s wellness,” said senior Katie Yow.

The government’s decision reflects the values of the “Brazil without Homophobia” campaign that was launched in 2003. The campaign’s charter document states that it aims to fight violence and discrimination against homosexuals by constructing “a culture of peace and values for promoting human diversity.”

Though the campaign itself has encountered much opposition, last week’s decision has not. Some people think this acceptance won’t last for long.

“You’re going to find opposition for anything anywhere, but especially for something like this,” said sophomore Harper Bokum-Faith. “It’s a radical decision. I couldn’t really see it happening in the U.S. for a couple more decades.”

In the United States, few government or private insurance programs cover the operation. The operations, which can cost from $10,000-$20,000, are usually paid for entirely out of the pocket of the patient.

“The fact is that cosmetic surgery is often covered under health insurance (in the United States), but isn’t this strange,” said junior Melanie Pringle. “It seems like if you let people change their physical appearance for vanity, you should let them change it for their identity, too.”

Sex-reassignment surgery is not the first controversial treatment to be offered by Brazil for free. AIDS treatment is also free; however, long lines and poor facilities cause many people to opt for private hospitals, despite the cost.

Still, many people consider this a major step forward, both for Brazil and the world as a whole.

“It seems like Brazil is really focusing on using taxpayer dollars for a good cause,” said junior Kip Reynolds.

“It’s a really good decision,” said Melanie Pringle. “The world is moving in a positive direction if things like this are happening.