Shias peacefully protest U.S. military in Najaf

Demonstrators protesting the presence of the U.S. military in Iraq gathered on April 6 in the Shiite holy city of Najaf. The protestors were supporters of the Shiite cleric Muqtada al-Sadr, who called for the protest largely to convince Iraqis to stop killing each other and instead focus on driving out the Americans.
Despite his fiery reputation, al-Sadr did not call his followers to arms. According to BBC News, there were no reports of violence.
The Shias marched from Kufa to Najaf on the 4-year anniversary of U.S. troops entering Baghdad. The two cities are approximately 100 miles apart, and many supporters were passing out leaflets that said, “Yes yes to Iraq” and “Yes yes to Muqtada. Occupiers should leave Iraq,” according to CNN News. The protestors burned American flags, referred to the United States as “the occupier,” and said that they were now targeting the Iraqis’ dignity.
The number of protestors varies from source to source, with the military spokesman Col. Steve Boylan citing approximately 8,000 and Indybay.org counting “up to one million.”
“(The) peaceful gathering is part of the right to peaceful assembly and the Iraqi people to voice their views,” said Boylan to CNN News.
Lt. Col. Christopher Garver, another spokesman, said, “While we don’t necessarily agree with the message, we agree with their right to say it.”
The military has been trying to put a positive spin on the situation, despite the incendiary words spoken by the protestors and al-Sadr.
Max Carter, director of the Friends Center and campus ministry coordinator, had a different take on the circumstances.
“I think this speaks to Iraqis taking responsibility for their current situation and their future,” said Carter. “Encouragement from al-Sadr to stop the infighting is positive, but I wouldn’t want them to redouble their efforts to kill Americans. It’s a clear indicator that America’s time as a positive force is over.”
“Nonviolent resistance to occupation has proven to be an effective approach in other countries, and it certainly could have a powerful effect on U.S. policy in Iraq,” said Vernie Davis, professor and director of peace and conflict studies. “Nonviolence is not new to Islam, and I imagine that those more familiar with the history of Iraq could cite examples of its effectiveness within Iraq as well.”
Despite the nonviolent protest, sentiments are not as friendly.
According to CNN News, a statement released in Najaf, attributed to al-Sadr, said, “You, the Iraqi army and police forces, do not walk alongside the occupiers because they are your enemy.