Cafeteria receives ‘B’ sanitation grade, faces possible permit loss

On Feb. 26, the Guilford cafeteria received its third “B” sanitation score in two years. The most recent inspection rubric came with an attached, “Notice of Intent to Suspend or Revoke Permit.”

The notice’s violation section said that there was a, “Failure to reach proper final temperature on dish-machine.” The notice warned that the NC Department of Environment and Natural Resources intended to suspend the cafeteria’s permit unless the violation was corrected within 30 days.

The cafeteria has lost points on sanitation scores five times over the last five years because of the dishwasher’s water temperature. Several past comment sheets acknowledged that the washer’s temperature was a “recurring problem.”

The cafeteria staff discovered that a faulty valve that gave false temperature readings was responsible for the sanitation grade’s largest deduction.

“We took 10 straight days during spring break to fix the dishwasher. Everything is replaced. It is fixed,” said Michael Watts, general manager of dining services, “the main valve in the basement was the main problem . we check now the machine twice a day.”

The cafeteria will be re-inspected within 30 days after the first sanitation grade was given. If the dishwasher functions properly, the sanitation grade will be raised from 88.5 to 93.5. If the dishwasher does not work, the cafeteria could lose its permit.

Other violations that were detected in the last inspection included a lack of soap in employee hand washes, numerous dead light bulbs in the kitchen, and “food debris” under the dishwasher. The comment sheet also read to “clean mold on wall and ceiling in meat cabinet.”

After the cafeteria found out its dishwasher was faulty, it immediately switched to disposable dishes and silverware.

“Whenever we know there is an issue we take the steps to feed the students safely,” said Watts.

The cafeteria’s other two “B” scores were received in Nov. 2006 and April 2005. The grade in Nov. 2006 was downgraded to a “B” due to violations including lighting problems, a dirty walk-in freezer, and a messy walk-in freezer.

The April 2005 rating was hurt due to violations including dirty wall fans in the kitchen, lighting, dirty produce cooler shelves, and a rusted mixing bowl. The largest reduction on the rating was due to problems with the sandwich bar.

The cafeteria received a full 5-point violation due to “potentially hazardous food . temperature and/or time requirements during storage, preparation, display, service and transportation.” The rating’s comment sheet stated that the deli sandwich refrigerator display temperature was eight degrees too high. This violation was the third occasion that the cafeteria’s sanitation rating had been deducted due to an elevated temperature at the sandwich bar.

Junior Brett Mcdonough has been discouraged by the cafeteria’s most recent rating.

“The new sanitation grade makes me want to eat in the cafeteria less than I do now, which is never,” said Mcdonough.