Community questions Sodexho’s business ethics and policy at forum

On Jan 31, students and staff met with three Sodexho representatives in an open forum moderated by the Conflict Resolution Center. The forum was held to discuss the company’s involvement in private prisons as well as accusations of racism in Guilford’s cafeteria. Sophomore Shaina Machlus read a quote about conditions at a women’s prison in Australia that at one time was co-operated by Sodexho. The conditions included forced medication of teenage girls and the use of tear gas, which led to high rates of self-mutilation and suicide attempts among the prisoners.

According to the quote, “(Conditions) were so bad that the state of Victoria was forced to retake control of the facility.”

“(Sodexho) manages some prisons in about eight foreign countries,” said Sodexho vice president of communications Keysa Minnifield.

Minnifield could not remember which countries these are but assured the community that, as of 2001, Sodexho does not own or manage any U.S. prisons.

“I think that material is two, three or four years old,” Minnifield said. “It’s difficult to respond to that because I thought that those were issues that were in the past.”

Fred Formichella, senior vice president of Sodexho’s Campus Services Division, said, “You can only be responsible for what’s happening in your own country.”

The discussion shifted to policy and issues concerning Guilford’s cafeteria.

Menemsha Milnor, a sophomore who works in the cafeteria and who helped to organize the event, questioned the process that employees must go through if they are experiencing a problem in the workplace.

“If someone is having a problem, and they don’t feel comfortable with their manager, they’re supposed to call someone they don’t know to talk about their problem?” Milnor asked.

Minnifield told her that the 1-800 hotline and the subsequent “chain of command” are used for employees to alert the human resources department of a problem so it can be fixed.

Fatmah Dogan, a cafeteria employee, spoke about the human resources director.

“She increases the problem every time she comes,” Dogan said.

Dogan said that she is frequently forced to leave work early, so her paychecks are minimal. She said she wonders why she is the only employee who is forced to do this, indicating that she feels discriminated against by her boss.

She wanted to quit the job, but decided not to.

“I stay because I love the students,” said Dogan.

Sophomore Laura Milot, who identified herself as the Executive Chef’s daughter, responded to Dogan.

“My dad isn’t racist. I’m so sick and tired of The Guilfordian calling him that.” she said.

Arminatu Ewing, who works for the catering service, told Milot that no one was accusing her father of anything, but “it’s the way you present yourself” that matters.

Minnifield assured the forum that “racism is not something that we (Sodexho) condone. It’s not something that I condone.”

Dave Coker, a union member, suggested that the Guilford Sodexho employees should unionize. The idea was greeted with applause. Minnifield said that this is a possibility.

Machlus and Milnor said that in the past Sodexho has issued anti-union propaganda to scare employees. Machlus also said that according to Corporate Watch only about 12 percent of Sodexho employees are unionized.

Minnifield confirmed that Sodexho has issued anti-union documents in the past, but said they no longer issue such documents. She said that about 13 percent of Sodexho employees are unionized.

James Shields, director of the Community Learning Center, said that Guilford Sodexho employees do not face problems only with management, but students often mistreat them as well.

“If you see one of your peers speaking disrespectfully to someone, it’s your job to speak up,” Shields said.

Harriet Raymer, a Guilford Sodexho employee, explained how Mike Watts recently reprimanded one of her “very hard working” co-workers after a student “put up a fit” over food that the co-worker had prepared.

“Police each other. You say you’re a community, then act like it,” Raymer said.