In ‘Death by Aria,’ students perform for love of music

Students scurry from choir practice to change into their costumes, props and all, for a cast picture. After a few quick shots, the group disbands, changes, and is off to eat, study, or rehearse more. The life of a music major is hectic. Taking time out of their busy schedules to perform in the middle of final exams while not receiving any college credit, Guilford’s vocal talent will perform opera scenes and Broadway songs in “Death by Aria, and a little Broadway!” The free performance on Sunday, Dec. 10 at 4pm is filled with a variety of acts.

Arias, or solo songs that explain what a character is feeling, come from such famous operas as Carmen, Le Nozze di Figaro, and The Consul. Songs from Broadway include hits from Wicked, The Producers, Jekyll and Hyde, and The Fantasticks.

“I think it’d be a good study break; it’s free!” said Suzanne Galer, vocal professor. Galer is the first full-time vocal teacher at Guilford and has en extensive background in the musical arts. Most recently she has performed at the Greensboro Carolina Theatre and with the Comic Opera Guild of Ann Arbor.

“Students need support from fellow students. Truth be known, they put this together in a very short amount of time. They’re not doing it for credit; they’re doing it because they love performing,” continued Galer.

Each student will sing a selection from their favorite musical or opera, which they have been working on for the entire semester. The one-time show will have simple sets, props, and costumes with make-up. Galer is excited because this is one place where an opera could fit into the timetable and feels an event like this helps to unify the vocal department.

“I’m graduating in December so it’s like my last hurrah, and it’s nice to get people excited about the music department,” said senior JoAnna Kelly, singing “What I Did for Love” from A Chorus Line.

“I’ve never sung opera before, I figured it would be good experience,” said sophomore Christy Hopkins. Hopkins will perform the aria, “Lullaby” from The Consul and is in charge of promotional posters and flyers for the event.

Besides singing, most students are part of the technical crew. Sophomore Allison Murray-Nikkel will sing “Laurie’s Song” from the opera The Tender Land and also serves as stage manager. Lighting and sound are run by senior Kass James who will also perform “A Little List” from The Mikado.

Along with James and cast members, sophomore Ryan Furlough designed the simple set for the production. Down center stage he will sing “Haben sie Gehort ein Deutsches Band?” from the musical comedy, The Producers.

For song selections, Galer and fellow vocal professor Jim Bumgardener helped students pick out music and chose numerous Broadway songs. This was a heavily -weighed decision, as Broadway musicals have been controversial in the music world. Today, such music is often not taught or even allowed in many music schools.

“(Singing Broadway) is a way for us to diversify and blend musical styles because Broadway is the modern descendant of opera,” said Galer. “Singers need to be marketable, and I think in today’s world Broadway frankly is quite popular and makes a whole lot of money.”

Broadway may be a money-maker, but the music department hopes to put on a full opera production in the spring of 2008. The department is considering the 20th -century English opera, The Little Prince, though nothing official has been decided.

Right now, “Death by Aria” performers and organizers are working around the clock to showcase the musical talent that Guilford offers. If you happen to see one of these performers early Sunday afternoon, take a page from The Producers’ “You Never Say Good Luck On Op’ning Night”:

“You never say ‘good luck’ on opening night!”

“What do I say, I beg?”

“What you say is ‘break a leg’!