Extra time benefits off-season athletes

As the end of fall semester approaches, there is no doubt that the workload in most classes has forced many to put their academic game faces on as they try to wrap up their last assignments and study for final exams.The same goes for off-season athletes. Practices and games tend to take up the majority of their time during the season. Taking classes while playing sports is a lot to juggle, and requires good time management skills on the players’ part.

Off-season athletes, meanwhile, are taking advantage of their newfound free time to catch up on their studies. Joe Joyner, a junior football player, is one of them.

“I mainly use my time to catch up on work and relaxing,” said Joyner.

Peter Deng, a sophomore soccer player, is also using the extra time to catch up on his studies.

“I am concentrating more on my school work, and trying to catch up on anything that I might have missed during soccer season,” said Deng. “I am also using the extra time to get community service hours through the Bonner Program.”

Deng feels that he works better during the season because his days are more structured.

Interestingly, Deng noted an improvement in his grades during soccer season

“I feel like my grades are much better when I am playing a sport,” said Deng. “My whole schedule is organized, so I know exactly where I need to be at certain times.”

Chuck Taylor, a sophomore baseball player, feels he benefits more from the extra time he has during off-season.

“I feel that I personally do better during the off-season because I have extra time to study for classes,” said Taylor. “I am also not missing any classes because of games yet, which keeps the pressure off of keeping up with my classes.”

Although off-season athletes are dedicating much of their extra time towards their studies, they still set aside enough time during the week preparing for next season by staying in shape.

“The coach gives us off season work outs that we have to do individually,” said Deng. “They are mostly strengthening and conditioning exercises, like weightlifting and running.”

“Although I am using some of my time to relax, I still work out a lot,” said Joyner. “Spring basketball is coming up soon, so I lift weights and stay in shape playing basketball.”

Taylor has been preparing for his upcoming season everyday by lifting weights, running, and throwing.

Just because an athlete is off-season, doesn’t necessarily mean he is off the hook when it comes to his or her sport. Athletes, regardless of their season, are always working hard to prepare and stay in shape for their sport.