The Outdoors Club answers nature’s call with consensus

A cacophony of voices create an intense sea of noise with a variety of topics ranging from rock climbing to contra dancing. The vibrant colors of the Greenleaf walls and the rapid accordion music add to the spirited atmosphere of the GCOC meeting. Ahh, the thrill of the outdoors club.

Guilford College Outdoors Club mission is, “Getting kids outside,”said club president and sophomore Bru Breunig. People might remember Breunig from this year¡s club fair because he was the man in the kayak. The club funds vigorous outdoor activities like the dynamic game of glow-stick capture the flag.

Access to the club is extremely informal. “I joined simply by showing up to a meeting one night,” said club member and first year Vahe Ender. The meetings are open to all and held in the Greenleaf every Wednesday night at 10 pm. “There is no technical status,” said Breunig.

GCOC gets people outdoors by funding an assortment of activities. The club has sponsored brisk hiking treks, challenging camping expeditions, energizing bike rides, and thrilling rock climbing trips. During all of these invigorating activities, club members appreciate the world around them without damaging it, practicing Leave No Trace.

“Leave No Trace is the mantra we say to ourselves whenever we are outdoors,” said Ender. The principles of Leave No Trace focus on the idea that recreation in the natural world can degrade the land, such as people leaving trash or taking back rocks and flowers. Leave No Trace combats the degradation of the outdoors by urging people to take photos instead of taking an actual object.

The club promotes environmental awareness with the help of Leave No Trace. GCOC brings along cameras to catch all the action and sweeping beauty of the great outdoors. Leave No Trace allows club members to enjoy the wilderness and preserve it for future treks and the next generation.

During a recent camping trip in Lynville Gorge, the Guilfordian outdoor enthusiasts took a handful of digital photos to remind them of their experience. They experienced the bittersweet joy of every camping trip and the bane of sunny days everywhere, persistent rain. “Being soaking wet and in the middle of the woods creates a unique bonding experience,” said first-year Mo Grumbly.

Trips and events are decided upon at meetings with the Quaker’s secret weapon: consensus. Consensus at a GCOC meeting might seem like mob rule and look harder than herding a hoard of hamsters, but event proposals eventually form and pass when people agree that it is a good idea.

“We use consensus because we want everyone to have a voice. When voting, minorities have no input,” said Breunig.

The club realizes that there are people who want to get outdoors but might not have the equipment. There is a long laundry list of supplies owned by the club that include pure water filters, cavernous back packs, comfy tents, small, compact camp stoves and hardy cook sets that are available to any camper.

The activities of the club have attracted many friends and members, but also have earned them an enemy. “The Indoor Club is our arch rival,” said Grumbly.

Go and help the Guilford College Outdoors Club struggle against their nemesis. You won’t regret your decision for a second.