Athlete achieve more than good stats

Clearly a new day has begun for Guilford athletics, as reflected in the just-completed fall sports season.As a recent Guilfordian article demonstrated, administrative changes have revitalized the various team programs. Congratulations are due to Vice President of Enrollment and Campus Life Randy Doss and Athletic Director Marion Kirby and his staff.

Meanwhile, the newly rebuilt Armfield Stadium stands as a symbol of the school’s commitment to athletics.

Among recent highlights:

The women’s soccer team matched a school record for wins and recording a school record best 9-1-1 mark in the ODAC, making it to the ODAC tournament final

The football team finished its second season under head coach Kevin Kiesel with a 6-4 record-its best since 1997, including an upset victory over number-one seeded Bridgewater.

Men’s soccer provided an exciting season; their ability to compete was not reflected in the final record, which included a 4-1 win over top-ranked Roanoke.

Under new coach Jamie LaFollette, the cross-country teams hosted their first-ever home meet, against D-II Fayetteville State, with Guilford men finishing in the top six spots and Guilford women finishing in the top seven spots. The men’s team also claimed first place in two D-III races.

The college hired Emily Hayes to revitalize women’s volleyball. Sophomore Kaci Loeffler is climbing up multiple college all-time lists and all ten players will return in fall ’07.

We can all take pride in the high-scoring achievements of our athletes, but even more impressive-and important-is the work they accomplish off the field. Several teams made a commitment to service this season, taking time between practices and games to give back to the community.

For example, teams participated in September’s Community Work Day, offering assistance with grounds maintenance around campus. Two weeks ago, the baseball and volleyball teams volunteered at the Special Olympics games in High Point.

These sorts of activities should be a priority for every coach. Despite the blame placed on athletes for Guilford’s infamous “student-athlete divide,” they’re the only ones moving to bridge a gap that the rest of the community is content to simply acknowledge.

Yes, they’re small steps. But they’re a shining example of how a group of disciplined and dedicated individuals can do more than play games.

Hopefully such efforts will be continued and amplified by the spring teams, whose seasons are just starting. There’s certainly no shortage of causes that would benefit from the volunteer efforts of a well-coordinated team.

This sort of change can start at a campus level.

Club leaders, the next time you need some extra hands to make an event happen, consider giving a coach a call. Communication might be rough at first, but if Guilford can both rank “Hottest for Social Conscience” and upset a couple top-seeded teams, then building community should be a snap.