Students, faculty, and staff continue a discussion about equality diversity in the Cafeteria

On Nov. 1, more than 30 students, faculty, and staff gathered at the smoker’s gazebo behind Founders Hall to continue a discussion on race relations and equality among cafeteria workers that began a month earlier.
Students voiced their concerns about alleged acts of discrimination in the cafeteria kitchen and the measures employees can take to make their complaints known.
According to Dining Services Manager Michael Watts, no one has come directly to him with discrimination allegations, though he has heard stories “through the grapevine.”
“There’s really not a lot of people speaking out because of fear for their job,” said a cafeteria employee, who asked to remain anonymous. “They would if there wasn’t the fear. In these hard economic times, no one wants to be without a job.”
The consequences of speaking out, the employee says, “Is so much backlash that it won’t even be worth it.”
Sophomore John Douglas said at the Nov. 1 forum, “We can’t address what’s really going on if people are in fear of losing their jobs.”
According to Watts, no retribution of any kind will be leveled against employees for voicing their opinions or concerns.
Watts also said that an investigation into the discrimination charges is underway by Sodexho’s Human Resources offices, and representatives have come to campus three times since August. Watts would not comment on the content of the investigation or offer an estimate for when the investigation would be concluded.
The current methods available from Sodexho for reporting discrimination cases, says Watts, are to contact him or, if an employee wishes to go elsewhere, they have the option to contact Human Resources directly or to call anonymously via a 1-800 number.
Sophomore Nick Clayman is skeptical of Sodexho’s dedication to the investigation, and made an appointment with Human Resources after hearing of the discrimination.
“First, I addressed the new balanced meal plan. And then I said, ‘You know, there’s also racism from (a new employee).’ He looked like he was interested, but I could tell he wasn’t listening,” said Clayman.
At the forum, the students and staff discussed ways employees can communicate their concerns to the Guilford community safely and without a fear of unemployment. Methods under consideration include mediation through the Conflict Resolution Resource Center (CRRC) or other on-campus mediation organizations and utilities. Students are also trying to attach the issue to the college’s Strategic Long Range Plan and the Ethical Purchasing and Procurement policy.
“I think the approach that students are taking now, going through the Strategic Long Range Plan and the Ethical Purchasing and Procurement policy is very smart,” said Leslie Essien, Initiative Outreach Coordinator. “That puts the issue before the board members. If the board members and our administration keep hearing these same things over and over, I’m hoping they will respond.”
“If the Guilford community is dedicated to anti-racism, we need to discuss the treatment of the workers,” said sophomore Menemsha Milnor. “We need to start holding ourselves responsible for finding out what’s going on. This issue is enormous, and it is going to take big commitment and big sacrifice.”
According to Watts, the cafeteria and Sodexho are open to input from the community, including involvement from campus organizations like the CRRC.
“The CRRC is definitely a positive alternative on campus, and readily available,” said Watts.
Watts also commends the students who organized the forums for bringing the discrimination issues to the community’s attention. “I think it was very good to have brought up some of those issues and start that discussion,” he said. “Eventually, there will be some resolution, but not without that discussion. It’s the only way you can get both sides of the story.”
“To say nothing, to do nothing, and to look the other way,” says Essien, “is to say ‘we’re supporting this, we’re complying with it.'”
“We should also recognize that this is about broader issues, and not just race,” said Milnor. “It involves different forms of social stratification and is very complex.”
“I see the Sodexho workers as family and friends,” said Essien. “And I feel that they are a part of this community, and they need to be treated as if they’re a part of this community.”
Junior Kathrin Gilbert said, “Fundamentally, I just believe the people who serve the students and faculty should be as appreciated as much as anyone else. We talk about equality as one of our core values, and these values should apply to everyone.