Everybodyfields to play at Guilford

On Oct. 28, the ears of concert-goers at the Flying Anvil were filled with the mellow and hauntingly beautiful melodies of the Everybodyfields. On a night when most people were out at big Halloween parties, the band was met by a surprisingly sizeable and eager crowd. Among the attendees were many familiar Guilford faces.
“I like that their music is a combination of great songwriting and excellent musicianship,” said junior Chelsea Simpson, who has seen the band three times. “That’s what I look for in a concert-going experience.”
Although the lineup of the band has shifted in recent years, the current members are Jill Andrews (vocals, guitar, and bass), Sam Quinn (vocals, guitar, and bass), and Megan McCormick (lap steel, guitar, and vocals). Hailing from Johnston City, Tennessee, the band has noted that their influences are country, rock and roll, and folk.
“It’s clear that they just really love their music,” said junior Andy Freedman, general manager of WQFS. “They love country [music] and their hometown and that’s what they’re all about. That’s their livelihood and it comes out of every pore of their soul.”
The Everybodyfields have gained more recognition in recent years, mostly by word of mouth. In 2005, Quinn won the Chris Austin Songwriting Contest for the song “T.V.A.” Their reputation as a talented young band has been drawing audiences across the country, as shown by their performance at the Flying Anvil.
The band played a particularly long set but no one in the audience seemed to mind. They performed songs from both of their albums and several newer tunes. To wrap up their set, they called their supporting band on stage to play an epic version of Neil Young’s “Helpless.”
What distinguishes the Everybodyfields from other bands is not only their soulful lyrics and delicate harmonies, but the noticeable chemistry between the lead singers Andrews and Quinn. They alternated between singing, and playing guitar and bass throughout the show, adding to the appeal of their live performance.
“They harmonize beautifully,” said senior Grace Boyle. “Seeing them live made me appreciate their chemistry together and the quality of [Quinn’s] voice.”
Not only do Andrews and Quinn share chemistry not only musically but personally. Their on-stage banter is quirky and fun and received many laughs from audience members.
Listening to the band’s recordings, the sound reminds one of old-time songs that once were heard on your grandmother’s dusty old record player. There is a pre-World War II feel to their music which is why the surprisingly young duo seems a bit out of place. Quinn is a shaggy-haired chap, with a great big beard, while Andrews is vaguely reminiscent of a ’30s movie starlet with shorter hair.
Guilford students will get another chance to see the band when they play at the college on Dec. 9 at 8p.m. WQFS and Project Community are co-sponsoring the concert. The details are still being worked out, but there are plans to make it a fundraiser for the Giving Tree. A $3 entrance fee is probable. “Why have a free concert when you can make money for a good cause?” said Freedman.
“I think it will be orgasmic,” said Simpson, who is particularly excited about the event.