CAP Approved

If you’re the 11th student to need a condom on campus, you may no longer be out of luck (provided that you have a quarter).
On Sept. 27, Community Senate approved the College Aids Prevention (CAP) proposal for the installation of on-campus condom dispensers. On Oct. 10, the decision was reached to put a condom dispenser in the first-floor bathroom of all dorms. No space has yet been designated in the apartments or Bryan Hall, but decisions are pending.
Among the student senators, support was unanimous. This allows for the proposal to move on to the next the next phase: the budget proposal.
“(I think it’s) fantastic,” said junior Anna Clarke. “It is a good idea that students can obtain condoms at their own discretion without having to go through someone else. One should be able to have access to protection in one’s immediate environment.”
Proponents of the condom dispensers feared that the administration’s approval would be harder to get than Senate’s approval had been. There was controversy over placement issues, with bathrooms and laundry rooms considered as the two most student-accessible locations.
“People seem to have been anticipating this issue to be much more of lightning rod than it is,” said Aaron Fetrow, dean for Campus Life. “Frankly, we were impressed by the thought that went into the proposal. The students took the initiative. This was a good, logical, well thought-out proposal, and one we support.”
“We’ve generally had good noises from the administration,” said Community Senate President Tim Scales, who is also actively involved in the proposal process. “There has also been some desire to maintain a level of discretion. Concerns mainly focus around not giving access to children and families who are taking tours.