Rugby welcomes gay team Charlotte Royals

The rarest sport in America has now taken an even rarer approach to establishing itself in the United States. In Charlotte, N.C., a new rugby team, the Charlotte Royals, started by the gay community in the area, is taking the hard-hitting sport to a new level. The concept of starting a rugby team in Charlotte occurred because there was interest in the Charlotte community to play rugby; however, the closest team in the area, the Carolina Kodiak, is more than an hour away from Charlotte.

Establishing a team in Charlotte became a concept worth venturing towards. The interesting aspect was that there were many people in the gay community who were interested in participating on this rugby team. Many people joined the team and the concept of starting this gay rugby team was actually possible.

The Atlanta rugby team, the Bucks, invited the newly formed Charlotte Royals to attend their scrimmage against the Kodiaks. The site of the rugby match created more enthusiasm, and the Royals began practicing with the Charlotte women’s rugby club, the Mayhem.

The Royals are currently playing their second full season, which will end in May, and are quickly making their mark on rugby in the southeast.

The concept of a gay rugby team can cause controversy for two reasons. Currently in our society, homosexuality is a very debated subject. Many believe that gays have the right of marriage. However, some discriminate against homosexuals and treat them as if they are abnormal. The other factor is that rugby is a tough masculine sport, and many would believe that homosexuals would be too effeminate to ever play such a rough game; however, neither of these reasons illustrates a single reason why gays should not play rugby.

I believe that every male has the right to join any athletic organization no matter what his religion, race or sexual preference is. It is a good thing that a primarily gay rugby team exists. As in the 1960s blacks fought for equal rights, today gays are fighting for equality. A male rugby team filled with gays that can be competitive is a step forward for gays because it shows that sport-wise, they are no different other males.

The concept of fearing homosexuals on sports teams should be eliminated. Whether they are your teammates or opponents, there should be no controversy of the matter. A different sexual preference does not define an entire man; it just alters one aspect of the person. The new rugby team proves that everyone should be able to join any sports organization and that it should not be an issue. I support this team because they are attempting a new approach to sports.

The team is not harmful or threatening, it is just a group of guys who enjoy the sport of rugby.