Fires endanger Meadows

Public Safety fears that casual bonfires may ignite larger fires (Amelia Godfrey)

Acts of arson across campus have been causing headaches for Public Safety and Campus Life, especially after three recent fires caused extensive damage to the Meadows. “Since March 1, 2006, there were a total of 13 arsons on campus- three in the Meadows and 10 unauthorized burnings throughout campus,” said Keifer Bradshaw, Security Coordinator.

The arson, which is now the subject of a Public Safety investigation, had the potential to be disastrous and could have left a great deal of Guilford’s woods in ruins.

“We suspect that the fires (in the Meadows) were caused by firecrackers,” said Aaron Fetrow, Dean for Campus Life. “Fireworks are illegal on campus for this very reason. We certainly don’t want to torch the Meadows.”

Fetrow added that Greensboro has been in the midst of a drought, so students should take extra care to not burn down the school. “We don’t want any fires in the Meadows,” Fetrow said. “What we want are for the kids to use the judgment in their brains.”

“The fires in the Meadows caused extensive damage to the area,” Bradshaw said. “If the winds were high, we could’ve seen a catastrophe. Especially to the residential area beyond the Meadows.”

Public Safety and Campus Life warn students that ignoring the fire policy on campus can lead to heavy penalties. “According to the student handbook, the fire safety infractions can be very extensive,” Bradshaw said. “Any person violating any of the provisions shall be guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by a fine not to exceed $500, imprisonment for not more than six months, or both.”

“It’s a level-three violation, which means it could lead to expulsion,” Fetrow said. Though the intentional destruction and arson of school property could easily lead to expulsion, if the fires in the Meadows were an accident they would probably only carry an extensive fine, community service and a permanent blemish on their transcript.

Aside from the potential penalties to students for fire safety infractions, Bradshaw added that if fire safety gets out of hand then “the Greensboro Fire Department can fine Guilford College substantially.”

Bradshaw said that he hopes to be able to hold the perpetrators of the arson accountable: “We do have suspects, but due to the investigation, names cannot be released.”

Many students are disappointed in their fellows for being responsible for the fires. Others are more understanding.

“It makes no sense,” said junior Sonja Dalrymple. “Those fires could have gotten out of control, and the entire campus could have been burned down.”

“I think it’s ridiculous that people would do that to the Meadows,” said first-year Elizabeth Sasso. “All they are doing is calling extra attention to the Meadows from Campus Life and Public Safety, and we all know that that will just cause more trouble for the rest of us.”

“There have been times when I have been in the Meadows and accidentally started a little fire,” said sophomore Meredith Grimes. “I can definitely see how someone could accidentally have started the Meadows on fire … especially if they were drunk.”

Bradshaw said that there is no way for Public Safety to keep their eyes on the entire campus all the time, so help from the community is necessary to keep the campus safe.

“Public Safety will continue to observe and report all infractions and increase fire watch,” Bradshaw said. “However, we are asking the community to help by prevention. We are counting on the community to be our extra eyes and ears. Ron Marshburn is the Fire and Safety Manager of Guilford; he has facilitated several fire safety programs this school year. I recommend that all students take the ‘Fire Safety Training’ that is offered.