Jeff Bateson named Head Men’s Soccer Coach

Bateson replaces former mens Coach Liam Behrens (guilford.edu)
Bateson replaces former men’s Coach Liam Behrens (guilford.edu)

“For right now, my life just consists of coaching and recruiting,” said Jeff Bateson, who recently became Guilford’s first full-time Head Men’s Soccer Coach. Bateson grew up in Michigan where he first found his love for the game of soccer. “You know, in my childhood, I think what drew me to the game was the fact that I liked running,” Bateson said. “Plus, chasing a ball around is always cool.”

His love for soccer persisted into his years attending Alma College in Michigan where he played center midfielder for the Scots (Alma’s mascot) and majored in Elementary Education and minored in Mathematics and Spanish.

“Alma is in the middle of a really Scottish town; in fact, I lived next to the current number-two bagpiper in the world.” Bateson declined to say if he ever wore a kilt.

The Scots soccer team only had 4 wins in Bateson’s first year, but they made and achieved their goal to reach the NCAA Tournament by his senior year. “I have great memories from those times that not many people get to experience,” Bateson said.

“I felt very comfortable with my coach,” Bateson said. “He’s probably one of my best friends now.”

Bateson became the Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association’s (MIAA) Most Valuable Player in 1997 and won all-region and first team All-MIAA honors in 1996 and 1997.

He also earned third team Umbro/National Soccer Coaches Association of America (NSCAA) Division III All-America honors as a senior midfielder. During the reception for his honor, Bateson got to shake the hand of Brazil’s most famous soccer player, Pele, along with having a quick conversation with him.

After graduating in 1998, he played professionally with the Premier Development League’s Mid-Michigan Bucks and the Colorado Comets before dedicating himself to coaching.

Bateson assisted his old coach, Scott Frey, at Alma for two years before landing the role as head coach, which he held from 2000 to 2004.

Last June, he received his Premier coaching diploma from the NSCAA.

This spring, Guilford offered Bateson the head-coaching job. “I’ve always wanted to live down south,” Bateson said. “It’s been a good transition because I’ve been around a lot of nice, friendly people.”

Bateson continued, “I like the direction the college is going, plus the program is fairly stable with the possibility of the Quakers becoming a top team in their division.”

Bateson has already coached a few practices and looks forward to the fall season, as do the players.

First-year Tim Berke said, “He seems to know the game really well, which makes practice fun and competitive.”

“Everyone really likes him,” said soccer player and first-year Quinton Hurdle. “He does a lot more fundamental, technical drills.”

As a coach, Bateson said, “I enjoy watching the players on the field because, by watching, I can really tell the personality of each individual, and the team as a whole.