A Step Outside My Comfort Zone

Last semester I studied in Australia. The theme of my study abroad program was “step outside your comfort zone.” I definitely did, and by plowing through a foreign country on my own, I learned more than I thought possible about myself and the culture of “no worries.” My first flight within Australia was delayed. I missed the connecting flight, and all other flights of the day were full. I was alone, scared, and stuck in an airport half a world away from all I knew. I called the director of my study abroad orientation. He told me my options, and I began to think I would come out of this OK. I thanked him sincerely. “No worries,” he replied with such a smile behind his words that I could hear it clearly through the phone, and I smiled. An opening on a later flight got me where I needed to go. No worries.

Driving on the left was scary. Damn windshield wipers kept switching on instead of the turn signal. The birds waited until the last second to fly haphazardly in every direction. Road trains rumbled down upon me, and I saw them cross the yellow line. Safely, we reached our destination: Jerramungup, where the town center is half a street with a cafe and a “visitor center.” No worries.

A venomous Dugite snake chased after my foot. But I got away safely. A poisonous redback spider made its home in my bathroom windowsill. My Aussie flatmate caught it on a feather duster and placed it out in the bushes. They said the magpies would attack you during breeding season, and they did, but it didn’t hurt too badly. The blue bottle jellyfish (Portuguese man of war) can kill you with a single sting, but it doesn’t ever happen. No worries.

Two Americans and I wandered from the campsite in search of kangaroos. We found many and followed them. Suddenly, the sun had set and we were lost in the outback. Spinifex grass needles cut into our ankles as we followed our intuition. Finally, the glow of tent tops in the dim bus light welcomed us back to camp. The dinner tasted so good. No worries.

Luggage is often lost on flights, but not so often on bus trips. Mine was the exception, of course. Halfway up the mountain, the luggage compartment under the bus opened and two pieces of luggage were lost. My backpack, my sole possession in that foreign land, was gone. We looked but could not find it, and the bus driver drove on. The next day the call came to me: “Someone on the mountain took the bags to the local police station and they’re on the next bus over here. They should arrive around 4 p.m. today.” And they did. No worries.

My closest female friend had a crush on me. We were drunk when she told me, holding my hand. I have never been so uncomfortable. I cried and could not talk to her then. When we were sober, she thought she had destroyed our friendship. After two uneasy days she came to my flat, and we talked. I explained myself. She explained herself. I asked about her coming out process, and she told me gladly and unafraid. We understood each other and our differences, and remained the closest of friends. Now she is on the opposite side of the world. Thank God for phones. No worries.

A Singaporean girl posed a question to a German girl and a Jewish American girl: “So what was that whole Holocaust thing?” The Singaporean had never been taught about Hitler. A moment of silence elapsed while I looked at my German friend. From an awkward moment arose one of the most moving conversations I have ever had. Despite my years of leaning, that was the first time World War II felt like a real event that had happened and had drastically affected real people’s lives. I’m so glad she asked that innocent question. No worries.

Thanks to Australia, I have left my fears behind me. My comfort zone is any zone because I know nothing is as bad as it seems. Everyone could stand to take to heart the lesson of the Aussies: no worries.