Jennifer King: student, athlete, leader

Along with playing softball, Jennifer King plays basketball, is a R.A., and is a memeber of BUS and CAB (Guilford College)

Jennifer King is one of those students who is involved everywhere. A prominent member of Blacks Unifying Society (BUS), the Student Athlete Advisory Committee (SAAC), the Campus Activities Board (CAB) and the Resident Advisor staff, she is visible everywhere on the school’s social spectrum. Described by Assistant Director of Athletics Dave Walters as “a two sport standout [and] accomplished student,” King won Guilford’s Best Undergraduate Female Athlete Award in 2004-05. King also serves as the coordinator of music and live performances for Serendipity this year.

Starting at age eight, King rapidly became a skilled basketball player, and her skill at softball came later. She loved the travel and adventure associated with her sports, and her skill has taken her “all over the country … it’s taken me places I probably never would have been. For example, I was on Bourbon Street at 14 years old, playing in a tournament.” King also mentioned that she will be going to Australia in June to play basketball.

King has some ambition to play professionally, probably in Europe, and her love of the sport has led her to her major: Sports Management with a concentration in Business. She is considering graduate school at Florida State, and hopes to continue being involved with sports for the rest of her professional life.

Her teammates are enthusiastic about King’s leadership and enthusiasm.

Fellow basketball player Brittany Bumgarner said, “Honestly, none of us could ask for a better senior captain and leader than Jenn. We are trying to build a successful program, and she is helping to lay that foundation. She’s just an unbelievably loyal person, and she would do (and does) anything for her team; that is what a great leader does.”

Judging from King’s excellent academic and athletic record, and her consistent success in both fields, this is no overstatement.

With so much athletic talent, it’s a wonder that King ended up at Guilford.

When asked why she chose this school, she replied, “Wow, that’s a tough question. I was recruited by a lot of schools, a lot of them much larger than Guilford, but my parents said go where you’d be happy.” She loved the feel of Guilford when she visited, and now, as a graduating senior, she sees Guilford as a quality decision and good place to spend four years.

An active student, King is

constantly juggling her various group commitments. She works in several different areas, many of them involved in community unity, “Guilford’s welcoming to athletes, in some ways. I’m on SAAC, and one of the things we talk about is the athlete/non-athlete divide at Guilford. But one thing we realize is that that divide is everywhere. It’s sometimes more visible at Guilford, because it’s a smaller school, but it’s everywhere.”

King represents a part of Guilford’s proud tradition of athletic students and achievers.