Guilford baseball dives in to spring 2006 season

A nine-run seventh inning capped off by a two-run home run from junior Mike Chelenza, showed the grit and determination possessed by the Quakers’ baseball team. On Feb. 15 they defeated Averett University 10-8 in their home opener after a rally in which eight consecutive batters reached the home plate safely. “It says that they don’t give up even when they’re down,” said Dave Walters, Sports Information Director. “The coach has got to be happy with that.”

This same perseverance carried the Quakers to a one-point loss after 11 innings against the Ferrum College Panthers, who ranks ninth in the nation. The Quakers rallied back from an early Panthers lead, but the Ferrum ultimately won 7-6.

“We were able to come back from an early lead, just like we did against Averett,” said captain and senior Rob Bittner. “It’s good to know that we can come back, but we don’t want to put ourselves in that position every game. We just need to focus in the first few innings, but we have the talent to compete with anybody.”

Despite returning 25 players, including last year’s top five hitters and top two pitchers, this year’s team takes on a new appearance under Head Coach Nick Black. This is Black’s first year in the position after three years as assistant coach under Gene Baker. Black started three years for the Quakers as a catcher and was captain his senior year in 2002.

Black will start three new infielders in an attempt to improve the Quakers’ Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) leading statistic of 107 errors last season. Bittner, as first baseman, is the only returning player to remain in the infield.

“I want to keep the best offensive team we have, but suit up the defensive side as well,” Black said.

New Assistant Coach Tod Gross will play a large role in rebuilding the defensive side of the team.

Gross coached at Franklin and Marshall College where he led the Diplomats to three of their top four defensive seasons in school history, ending in 2005 with a school-record .995 fielding percentage.

This stronger defense will include Ricky Seabolt, a junior transfer from Greensboro College, as shortstop and junior Mike Chelenza as third baseman.

First-year Michael Costa will contribute at both second and third base, and sophomore Zach Schlesinger, junior Ian Spector, and first-year John Goodwin will all see play time as well.

In the outfield, senior Jeff Arzonico moves to left field, leaving junior Chad Boone in right field, while sophomore Fred Parent patrols the center.

On the mound, juniors Logan Collier and Dave Whigham are solid starters. Collier received Guilford’s Player of the Week Award in the opening week of the season after pitching seven shut-out innings and a career-high nine strike outs in a 13-4 win against Piedmont College. The other pitchers are seniors Mike Balash, Chris Raines and Matt Spoerlein.

Behind the plate, the Quakers will depend on senior Andrew Lerner in his second season. Last year Lerner led the ODAC with 20 runners caught stealing and was named to the 2005 American Baseball Coaches Association/Rawlings NCAA Division III Second Team All-South Region team. Lerner serves as co-captain along with Arzonico, Bittner, Whigham and Jake Lubel.

Speaking about the team’s captains, Black said, “Rob [Bittner] and Jeff [Arzonico] are our glue. They’re very mature and have the ‘want to win’ attitude. Both of those guys have great leadership skills.”

Bittner also leads the Quakers’ offense with the help of Boone and first-year designated hitter Treiston Burnette. Bittner tallied 10 home runs last year, while Boone notched eight.

This year’s team recruited nine first-years and two transfers, giving their bench much depth.

“We have a great freshman class and a solid foundation for the future,” Black said.

One of those first-years is Jared Via from Stoneville, N.C. Via pitched more than two innings in the Quakers’ 11-3 victory over Montreat College and tallied two strike outs against eight batters. Via also pitched 2 outs in the 11th inning against Ferrum.

“There’s a good mix of new and returning players,” Via said. “The veterans really push us [first-years], but at the same time anyone can step up and get the job done. This keeps the team really competitive, but in the end we’re all in it to win”

“We have a great freshman class,” Bittner said. “With all these good guys coming in and the foundation that coach Black and Gross are making, I see a good future for this program.”

Looking to the future, the Quakers face the top four teams in the conference on the road.

“We need to stay positive,” Black said. “We work pretty well together, we just need to keep the guys team oriented.