Considering religion in the Year of Spirit and Spirituality

Certain color schemes annoy me for no particular reason and that’s that. We all have those things that bother us. A dark pea green with gold lettering . what are the Gideon’s thinking? It’s really none of my business though, so I apologize for my random hatin’. But wait, is now owning a copy of this New Testament any of my business either? I’ve never had one before, who is to say that I deserve to have one?

Oh well, college is supposed to be full of new experiences. Will my new culmination of collegiate knowledge involve religion? With this Year of Spirit and Spirituality upon us, I would venture to say there will be at least an inkling of it, most likely more.

At this moment, however, I do not know if I can believe in any one religion. How am I supposed to know which one is the right one?

People say that it’s a “leap of faith.” Well, the last time I tried to make a leap of faith, I literally had to jump from one tree to another on a rope-climbing course.

I did not complete the course and instead climbed down the tree rather than take the risk of my safety rope breaking and me falling, or some other scary thing happening.

This actual materialization of the leap-of-faith metaphor connects with my hesitation about religion.

I am still not ready to take a leap of faith into claiming a religion. However, I would enjoy learning about religions in order to make the jump one day.

Let’s have a look inside this New Testament I got, since its location right next to me is so convenient.

Wow, the Gideon’s sure do believe in spreading the gospel – 1.2 million copies. Dang.

I was chatting with Max Carter the other day and he told me that Guilford tried to get other religious groups to pass out their texts to students as a response to complaints about the New Testament being the only religious book offered.

Apparently, other religions do not believe in just giving away something so sacred. That makes sense, people actually have to want to study their religions enough to go out and buy their books.

But I love the convenience of free stuff. It seems that equality is a virtue of Christianity, since they let potentially everyone have the opportunity to be saved by Christ.

Other religions can appear elitist by not giving everyone free copies.

Anyway, back to the book at hand. The index is pretty cool. It has a “Where to find help, when” section.

Let’s see, I am feeling like faith fails. I should go to page 408 and read Hebrews 11.

Good definition of faith here: “Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen.” Hmm. This goes on now to tell me of events that were made possible because of people’s faith, like the journey across the Red Sea.

Maybe I will read these stories. Maybe I will read the whole book.

Though this is all very interesting, I am not about to convert. I would need to read every single religious book in order to make up my mind about faith in a god. I know that trying to reason faith sounds like an oxymoron, but I want to do just that.

And I’m going to start now – with the Year of Spirit and Spirituality! Plus, it’ll take my mind off the awful green and gold that has also unfortunately worked its way into the fashion, and apparently the religious, world.