Holiday season creeps up on us

“Its beginning to look a lot like Christmas,” just like the popular carol says. Unfortunately, though, I have been seeing Christmas since the middle of October. Despite the fact that there are five major holidays between Oct. 31 and Jan. 1 – Halloween, Thanksgiving, Hanukah, Christmas, and New Years – Christmas dominates the holiday decorating and advertising season. As I walked through South Park Mall in Charlotte, N.C., during fall break, I sensed the spirit of Christmas. The majority of stores already had garlands hanging from their windows, and the shops were already filled with wonderful Christmas gifts that will be stowed in people’s closets by the middle of January.

There was even a massive display in the center of the mall where Santa would soon be sitting. The Christmas spirit is pleasant; it is just beginning earlier and earlier each year.

The Sunday prior to Thanksgiving, I drove through Gibsonville, N.C. As I ventured down Main Street, I observed wreaths hanging from every light and decorations in every store.

Although it might be wise for retail stores to begin advertising their venues using Christmas-related decorations, town councils are decorating their cities for Christmas long before Thanksgiving. Despite the importance of Christmas, it is casting a shadow over all other major holidays.

Christmas is special. Some believe that the purpose of Christmas is to remember the birth of the Christian savior; others enjoy spending time with family and close friends away from the pressures of their everyday life. However, the primary reason Christmas dominates the holiday season is not any of these. It is because of money.

As the son of parents who own a retail store, I understand why Christmas time is so important to businesses. The majority of a retail business’s income occurs between the Friday after Thanksgiving, “Black Friday,” and Dec. 23. However, this just further shows that Christmas is being advertised too early in our society.

If Christmas sales do not begin until after Thanksgiving, why does our society insist on advertising Christmas in October?

I admit that Christmas is my favorite time of the year because of the holiday spirit and the enjoyable time with family and friends without the burden of school. Yet Christmas should not eliminate any of the other holidays. Our society needs to allow Halloween, Thanksgiving, and religious holidays from other faiths to have their time as well.

The holiday season is important; and the climax, for many people, will always be Christmas. However, the Christmas season should start the day after Thanksgiving and allow other holidays to regain their importance.