Guo named in Global Register’s ‘Who’s Who’

Associate Professor of Political Science George Guo’s professional honors now include recognition from the Global Register’s “Who’s Who in Executives and Professionals.” This latest award is one of many that the Faculty Affairs Committee (FAC) must consider when evaluating Guo’s request for tenure this year. Guo is currently in his fourth year at Guilford College. He previously taught in Germany, Japan, and at the University of Virginia. Although Guo has the credentials to teach at a major university, he appreciates Guilford’s small community atmosphere.

“A small college has different challenges and advantages,” said Guo.

The FAC must critique Guo on four aspects before awarding tenure. These categories are: teaching, advising, scholarship, and community service.

Guo offers a rare combination of expertise as a teacher. He teaches Political Theory and Comparative Politics, and is one of the world’s leading experts in East Asian Policies. Guo challenges his students, hoping to cultivate in them the same love of knowledge that he possesses.

“It’s my mission to nurture a future scholar from Guilford College,” said Guo.

In the spring of 2005, Guo’s dream came a step closer to realization. Johns Hopkins University accepted Luke Treloar to its graduate school with a powerful recommendation from Guo, his professor and advisor. At Johns Hopkins, Treloar will participate in one of the world’s most prestigious study-abroad programs and travel to China to attend Nanjing University.

Guo dedicates himself to his students as an advisor and holds their well being in the utmost importance.

“He’s really dedicated to his students,” said sophomore Cate Cummings, one of Guo’s advisees. “If you write him an email he’ll respond back to you within three hours.”

Guo is active in community service as well. He is currently on the International Studies committee, the Freeman Committee, and works to strengthen the study-abroad program. Also, Guo is organizing a faculty trip to China.

“[He brings] not just the mechanics of being a teacher, but the philosophical aspect as well,” said Ken Gilmore, Assistant Professor of Political Science.

Gilmore holds Guo’s commitment to the Guilford community in high esteem.

“One lesson he taught me early on is that you can actually get more from someone if you give more initially,” said Gilmore. “[We must] sacrifice and have faith that the leadership will take care of us.”

But scholarship is by far Guo’s greatest attribute. According to Brantley Womack, Professor and International Activities Chairman at the University of Virginia, Guo stood out for his scholarship even as a student.

“He was very much admired by the students here,” said Womack, who taught Guo at the University of Virginia and oversaw his dissertation. Later, Guo taught as Womack’s colleague.

Guo’s first book The Ideal Chinese Political Leader and his article “Dimensions of Guanxi in Chinese Elite Politics,” published in the prestigious China Journal, are required texts at universities around the world, including the University of Michigan, the University of Virginia, the Australian Defense Force Academy, and Yonsei University in South Korea.

Multiple scholars from around the world cite Guo’s texts in articles, presentations, and theories on political interaction. Oxford and the University of California at Berkley both utilized Guo’s theories and texts. Guo is currently working on a second book about China’s elite security service.

“His research on Guanxi and his framework on relationships is one of the best in social sciences,” said Womack. “[Guo was] pushing the frontier of knowledge in his dissertation. His first book is only half of his dissertation.”

Guo travels to Asia and gives presentations around the world in the summer. His latest was a speech at the 34th annual China-US Conference in Charlottesville, VA. Guo maintains an upbeat and cheery attitude about his work.

“This is the life of a scholar,” said Guo.