World traveller and exchange student Hitomi Yamamoto

Japanese exchange student Hitomi Yamamoto ()

She’s traveled to 10 different states already, and this is only Hitomi Yamamoto’s first time to America. From Shiga, Japan, Hitomi Yamamoto came to Guilford last fall from Kansai Gaidai University in Osaka. Yamamoto, 22, graduates in September back in Japan.

Since her stay here, Yamamoto recalls the friends she has met and the fun experiences she’s had, although some times, she admitted, she struggled.

Yamamoto expressed a huge desire to study in the United States, and thus went through a period of examination and a formal interview with her academic dean.

“I didn’t have a specific college, I just wanted to go to the U.S.,” said Yamamoto. “But since most Kansai students live in a dorm, I wanted a close connection. And so my dean requested Guilford.”

Yamamoto went through an application and interview process in order to be selected for Kansai’s study abroad program.

She expressed a strong desire to study in the States for the love of the English language.

And even passion for something can have its challenges. “I didn’t know how to socialize because of the language barrier,” said Yamamoto. “I was afraid to say certain things, and to make people uncomfortable. I was afraid of expressing myself.”

Yamamoto’s past year has given her more courage and strength in her everyday conversations, as well as academic assignments, in a foreign language.

“Hitomi has come to the ASC for help with writing assignments,” said Sue Keith, Director of the Academic Skills Center, via e-mail. “She has improved incredibly, and now, because of her very hard work, she understands many nuances of our language.”

“It is interesting for me to learn another language, although it’s difficult,” said Yamamoto. “You have different expressions for the same meaning – you have words that we cannot translate, or even have.”

“Hitomi is a very hard worker. She insists on doing her very best at everything she does,” said Keith.

“Everyone is kind to me – I really appreciate that,” said Yamamoto. Meeting new friends while living in Milner and Shore hall, Yamamoto managed to travel extensively on school breaks. She has traveled to many places, including Colorado, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Washington D.C., Connecticut and Massachusetts.

“I was invited to different places in the U.S. for my school breaks,” said Yamamoto. “In the fall, I went to Colorado, and over winter break, I went to Philadelphia and Chicago. The mix of classes and vacations – but mostly the out-of-class experiences – helped me improve my English,” said Yamamoto.

Besides English as a passion, Yamamoto found another passion during the year here at Guilford. “I am jealous of her travels,” said Keith. “Sometimes we have looked online for pictures and information concerning her destinations – like the Grand Canyon.”

After commencement on May 7, Yamamoto has a short break again to travel. “I’m going to beaches in Florida,” she said. She then plans to head back to Japan, where she will finish out her last semester at her school.

When asked if she had any final thoughts or comments, Yamamoto said, “I just really like English.