Senior art thesis works on display in Founders hall

Memory of Denial by senior Jennifer McCall ()

In a swirl of color, clay and canvas, the Senior Thesis Art Exhibition displays some of the enormous talent and creativity of Guilford College this spring. Currently located in the upstairs of Founders hall, eight students displayed their senior art theses, including prints, photographs, ceramic pieces, and paintings.

The show’s April 22 opening had a large turnout. Every exhibit held a unique quality, and their work displayed a certain focus or theme. The artists sold the works on display, and many of the pieces were marked “purchased.”

“I like stuff you can use all the time – instead of art that just sits on the wall,” said senior John Pickard, whose ceramics thesis focused on functionality. From steins to lidded pots to plates, Pickard wanted to work with items people use on a daily basis.

Pickard’s pieces display smooth yet bold lines, with a timeless, rustic look and feel. A large plate represented a functional simplicity with a subtle, beautiful shape.

Like Pickard, senior Alex Lissenden created a variety of ceramic pieces focused on form, function and firing techniques. His uniquely shaped jugs and pots also carried a distinctive functionality.

“I wanted to make a show that looked like it was ten different potters’ works, but I wanted it all to somehow link back to one concept,” said Lissenden via e-mail. “I wanted families of pots, and things that fit together aesthetically and architecturally.”

“I’m an observer,” said senior photography major Jamara Knight. Her black and white photography targets cultural and global awareness and everyday living.

One of Knight’s photos, “El Torrero,” shows a man staring at the camera in a poised, confident stance.

“That photo has a really funny story behind it,” said Knight. “When I asked to snap a photo of him, he said only if I get on my knees in a bullfighting position, there on the street. Soon after, there were people driving by screaming, ‘Ole!'”

Senior Elizabeth Minehart focused her photography exhibit on the issues and stereotypes of modern women. Minehart’s pieces include themes of sexuality and domesticity, including sets she built for each piece.

The love and passion of art radiated from the exhibits and each painting, print, or pot seemed like more than just a semester’s work.

Minehart took a lot of time to prepare for her shots. “At the beginning of the year, I built the sets, did Photoshopping, and worked with the fabrics,” Minehart said. “There were a lot of little issues, and things that broke and didn’t work out in the process.”

“I averaged about 10-15 hours of work a week,” said Pickard. “But it was more motivation for me to get in there and improve my work.”

“On average I was doing 20 hours a week until April,” said Lissenden. “In April, we are looking at 30 hours a week easily, between throwing, glazing, firing, and doing all the nitty-gritty stuff required to set up an installation.”

Lissenden then added, “It was awesome.”

“It’s not like doing class work, with a bunch of different assignments focused on one thing,” said Pickard, on the challenge of his thesis. “This has to be more cohesive and creatively different.”

But the challenges seemed insignificant when viewing the finished product. Each exhibit carries intricate detail and design, like Lissenden’s textured orange and black pots.

“It’s hard to deal when the subject declines having their picture taken,” said Knight. “But it’s understandable at the same time, because many indigenous cultures believe photos take away your soul.”

“The biggest challenge was staying away from the studio,” said Lissenden. “Some days I would go straight to the studio in the morning and wouldn’t get any food in me until I left at 10 p.m.”

Challenges aside, the final products are amazing.

All the artists plan to pursuing their fields after graduation.

“I’m set up to do a photo shoot for a music album,” said Knight. “I’m really excited, since I’ve never shot for a music album before.”

Lissen-den also has plans after graduation. “I am moving out to Asheville to apprentice with a professional potter,” said Lissenden. “I’ve got my own cabin in the woods about a half a mile from the studio.”

“I plan to study graphic design after graduation,” said Minehart. “I’m going to focus on photography and move to Las Vegas.”

Looking polished and professional, the senior thesis exhibit is an eye-catching experience. The exhibit is open to the public and on display upstairs in Founders hall until May 7.