Some dead-end solutions on the elderly and driving

Loss of driving ability can cause problems (www.crazy-jokes.com)

As I was taking a left at the corner of College Road and West Friendly Avenue, a hazy blue Oldsmobile turned to make a right as soon as I came veering around. I’m glad I was paying attention, because the woman behind the blue Oldsmobile was not. I slammed on my brakes, screamed obscenities, and drowned my voice out while abusing the car horn.

As I looked behind her wheel, I saw an elderly woman, astounded at what had almost happened.

I have seen many instances when senior citizen drivers have almost caused an accident with either myself or another driver.

This is a problem.

Either slowed reaction time or poor attention is the biggest issue with their driving skills. It’s not that all senior citizens can’t drive. Many can. But some are incapable of driving due to harsh illness or old age.

There are possible ways that the elderly can avoid car accidents or driving altogether. Yet, these options seem only temporary, or even neglectful, when looking at our society closer.

Senior citizens could be retested at the age of 65 to see if they are still alert and able to drive safely. This, though, would discriminate against a big percentage of the elderly living in the U.S.

There would be a safer population of elderly drivers, if they were retested and thus would cut down on any elderly-related accidents. But what about those who fail who are incessantly inside or endlessly waiting for a ride, cab, bus, train, etc.?

When we get behind a large piece of machinery that’s in our control, safety should always be a concern. If that means periodical testing for all drivers, or drivers renewing their licenses as to not discriminate against the elderly, then that is what needs to be done in order to make the roads safer.

According to the Department of Motor Vehicles, renewing a driver’s license should not be discriminatory. Anyone (not only senior citizens) who is not capable of handling a motor vehicle should not be on the road. The Department of Motor Vehicles should retest all renewing parties.

Exeter Healthcare in Exeter, New Hampshire has offered driving courses through the Exeter Hospital since June 2000 to help rehabilitating patients and elderly who want to sharpen their skills. The volunteers and employees of DriveAbility take the patients and elderly out on the roads for actual driving time and real experience.

This could help seniors tremendously who need to improve or refresh their skills, and is a better solution than to impoverish the elderly without an option of driving at all.

But how can the classes help once senior citizens become too old to drive? When it’s not a matter of skill, but age, how can you not avoid age discrimination?

In general, the accidents teens cause are just as severe. I know – I was one once. And frankly, I caused many accidents back in my day. But eight years later, I have learned my lessons and improved and honed my driving skills.

Seniors in assisted living homes and hospitals have the option of going out to town with the others, but their freedom is restricted to a few places. And beyond freedom of driving and choice of places to go, the elderly are at the hands of non-family members whom they must trust to travel with.

Our competitive society prioritizes work and money over family and well-being. And thus, many elderly are forced to either live in a home, or drive themselves.

Overall, safety is still an issue for not only the elderly, but also for the other drivers. And maybe the problem is not the senior citizens, but our system of ideals that provoke our decisions based on an individualistic need, rather than a communal one.

I try not to get upset at some of the elderly drivers making life-threatening mistakes on the road. If anything, it scares me most. And although I was livid towards the woman in the hazy blue Oldsmobile at first, I knew underneath there was no fault with her.

I don’t have any solid solutions to the elderly driving. But I do believe this is a problem. Yet, this issue shows us as Americans how little safety concern there is for not only senior citizens, but for all drivers.