Senior, triple major, Ultimate player Minta Fox ‘does it all’

Senior Minta Fox ()
Senior Minta Fox ()

As an Ultimate (frisbee) player, guitarist, vocalist, and senior with a triple major, it would seem virtually impossible to keep up with classes alone. But for Arminta Fox, not only does she juggle all that, but she manages to research two senior theses, while volunteering at the Greenleaf, the new coffeeshop in Mary Hobbs Hall. With the swirl of events, work, classes and games, Fox manages to take time for her teammates, as well as her friends.

“Minta is very bright, but also balances her studies for concern for her friends and other people,” said Greer Fox, her mother.

While stirring a steamy-hot mocha latte at the Greenleaf, Fox discusses how busy her schedule is, especially with three majors and upcoming graduation. Fox majors in French, Psychology and Religious Studies with a thesis in Psychology and Religious Studies.

“As far as post-graduate plans, I will be in Greensboro,” said Fox. “I eventually want to do service work in another country, perhaps a French-speaking one such as Haiti or Senegal.”

Fox, who is from Knoxville, Tennessee, was first introduced to Ultimate as a camp counselor after her first year at Guilford. Currently a team member of the “Biohazard” (the squad’s nickname), Fox has played on and off since her sophomore year, but became more focused in the second semester of her junior year.

“It’s been a learning experience for me,” Fox said with a warm smile.

When asked about her challenges on the team or in competition, the discussion of gender was the central theme.

In the competitions, Fox received blunt sexism from opposing male players. “I hate going to coed competitions and have men say things to me, thinking that I can’t play because I’m a woman,” she said.

There is a women’s team and a coed team for Ultimate. “It’s been really hard to go back and forth, between the coed and women’s team” said Fox.

“We’ve gone to competitions and played same-sex games and coed,” said senior and captain of the Ultimate team, Jared Knight via phone. “Playing coed doesn’t work out all the time. The game of Ultimate is changing – it is more geared towards women and men’s teams, rather than coed,” said Knight.

“There are certain positions where you’re challenged more” Fox continued. “You get to play those more on the women’s team, that you don’t get the chance to on the coed team,” she said.

“Playing coed can be frustrating,” said teammate and senior Nikki Jaffe. “Guys can be physically stronger, taller, etc., which disadvantage women,” she said.

“Guys take advantage of the girls when playing coed,” said Knight. “That’s one of the main reasons why playing coed is so difficult.”

In terms of both teams and the differences between them, Fox said, “(The women’s team) is a very different atmosphere. I feel more supported.”

On and off the field, Fox is there to show support for her teammates and tries to work through any issues that may arise.

“Anytime there’s a problem, Minta’s always calm and speaks to those tensions,” Knight said.

Fox has also worked hard at developing the fundamentals of her game. “I’m constantly trying to improve my abilities to throw and catch,” she said. “But on every level, I can always push myself to do better.”

“Minta is confident with herself on and off the field. She has improved tremendously physically and mentally,” said Knight. “She’s great with communication – that’s key in playing well” he said.

“I’m insanely impressed by her,” said Jaffe. “She’s very positive on and off the sidelines. She’s juggling a lot of things, but is always there for support.”

On the verge of graduation with all the events and commitments in Fox’s life currently, it’s hard to imagine how she does it all.

“I’ve always been impressed by her ability to juggle many things,” her mother said.

Besides doing service work in another country, Fox wants to hopefully go to graduate school.

“Volunteering requires a lot of money, so I first have to work to save up,” said Fox. “I would also like to go to graduate school and perhaps do counseling work after that.”

Reaching out to others seems like Fox’s calling. And it seems as if she has already reached out to many at Guilford – as a student, athlete and woman.

“I’ve always enjoyed the time I’ve spent with her,” said her mother.