Perseverance and rugby: Senior Kevin Woodcock

Senior Kevin Woodcock ()
Senior Kevin Woodcock ()

“I didn’t want to quit, but I probably should have,” said senior Kevin Woodcock referring to a severe case of mono he had during his first-year at Guilford. “It is actually kind of embarrassing; I did not know I had mono my freshman year,” said Woodcock. “So I kept playing rugby and doing the things people do when they are in college. It turned into hepatitis. I got really sick.”

Woodcock began playing rugby upon arrival at Guilford. His eagerness to play rugby in his first year has continued throughout his time at Guilford.

He has been the captain of the rugby team since his junior year and will graduate this spring with a double major in political science and economics.

“He is tough and has a good attitude,” said rugby coach George Hubert.

On the decision to make Woodcock a captain, Hubert says: “He is thoughtful and makes good decisions. Every decision he makes affects other people.”

“I was one of the oldest,” said Woodcock. “Also, I had the most experience.”

Woodcock gained extra experience playing rugby with the Raleigh Vipers the summer after his first year at Guilford.”You can walk out there and play,” said Woodcock.

Woodcock appreciates the unity of rugby. “Rugby is such a team sport,” said Woodcock. “It requires finesse and physical strength. You can be any size and play. It is a really dynamic sport.”

Woodcock originally came to Guilford as a golfer; his rugby enthusiasm is a relatively new development.

“I came here because Guilford has a really good D-3 golf program,” said Woodcock.

“Freshman year I maybe went to one golf practice, but I decided not to play. I got burned out. I had been playing since elementary school. I wanted to do something physically active and the two club sports Guilford has are ultimate frisbee and rugby. I just started playing rugby. I had no idea what it was about I just went out there and started playing.”

Throughout his playing time at Guilford, Woodcock’s rugby game has developed into something that both his coach and teammates appreciate.

“Woodcock plays rugby like a god among men,” said sophomore teammate Ben Snyder.

His time at Guilford has not been all about rugby and academics. He had his share of fun living in infamous Bryan hall during the fall of 2002. Woodcock’s friends can attest to that.

“If Woodcock were a super hero back then, his super hero powers certainly would have been guzzling Jack Daniels,” said sophomore year roommate Alex Lissenden.

“My sophomore year, fall semester, I had a great time living in Bryan C 23, but I’ve grown up a bit since then” said Woodcock.

Spring semester of Woodcock’s sophomore year, he traveled to Brunnenburg to study abroad.

Economics professor Robert Williams led the trip and asked Woodcock to join him.

“I of course said, ‘yes, that sounds like an excellent time.’ When we were in Italy that semester we went to Venice for Carnavale,” said Woodcock. “That was one of the most fun experiences ever.”

When questioned how he maintains an interesting social life and a double major Woodcock said: “I hope my social life is interesting. I have grown up a bit since my freshman year. Now I am very into my academics and I can balance my social life and academics.”

Woodcock recently finished an independent study with political science professor Ken Gilmore.

“I wrote a case study for the textile industry in North Carolina,” Woodcock said. “Basically, what economic and political forces destroyed it.”

Woodcock hopes to attend law school in the future. “I interned at the Greensboro district attorney’s office and that helped me decide. I read a book by Scott Turow, about his account of his first year of Harvard and that gave me some insights about it.”

After graduation Woodcock plans to work in the banking field. “I have heard back from one place, but I don’t know if I will take it.”

Woodcock has no intention of leaving the sport he loves behind after May 7. “I think I will play rugby after I graduate,” said Woodcock. “Any decent size town has a men’s rugby team.