ASC holds poetic send-off for Sue Keith

The Academic Skills Center (ASC) hosted its annual spring poetry reading April 12 in the Gallery of Founders hall. The themed reading celebrated the retirement of ASC director Sue Keith. Students, faculty and staff read works pertaining to the theme of nature while expressing their gratitude to Keith. Keith came into the evening unaware of the reading’s dedication to her. She began the event with the poem “Metamorphoses.”

“I really liked the way it connected with seasons and change,” said Keith.

English professor and ASC tutor Doug Smith read David Bottom’s poem, “Under the Vulture Tree,” officially dedicating the evening to Keith. Alternative Learning Specialist Kim Garner then handed Keith a bouquet of flowers.

“Hundreds of people knew it was going to happen,” said Garner. “We normally have a poetry reading, so we sort of kept it normal. (Keith) has always done the drinks and brought the tablecloths. And always opened (the readings),, so we just let everything stay static like it always is.”

An array of desserts was laid out on the tablecloth. Milk was offered among the refreshments, furthering the evening’s sentiment of purity.

“The first thing I couldn’t believe was that they pulled it off without my knowing,” said Keith. “I don’t know how they did it, but they did it. I was dumbfounded, I don’t know if I can ever trust them again.”

More people read than usual, bringing the total to 25.

“We had kept the list from her because her daughters were reading,” said Garner.

“I did notice one of my daughters coming in,” said Keith. “And there were a couple of other people who when I realized they were there I thought ‘wow, I am really glad they came.'”

“Initially I was sort of uncomfortable with it and I thought ‘oh dear, I am going to cry for the next however long,'” said Keith. “I did cry a lot. But, it was wonderful.”

The evening continued with tears and an array of ‘thank-yous.’

English professor Eleanor Branch prefaced her reading of the poem “Choices” by tearfully saying, “I would like to think I could get through this without crying.”

“The lights in the gallery were the bullet lights, on those few pictures and then there was the lamp we put in there,” said Keith. “So I felt that everybody in there was just really together, which was a wonderful feeling. I felt like I was there with people I really loved and really appreciated. We were celebrating words and each other. It was like the room became detached from Founders. There was a warmth and communication and a celebration of a lot of different things.”

English professor Jeff Jeske read Robert Frost’s poem “The Pasture,” and said to Keith, “I’ve long thought that the fire in the hut is the symbolic center of campus. But your office has been the living heart.”

Junior Alice Simpkins read Mary Oliver’s poem “The Sun.”

“Participating at the poetry reading marked a milestone for me to try to combat stage fright,” said Simpkins. “I wanted to let Sue know how much I appreciated her help over the years.”

Continuing Education student Tonya Marion read the poem “I am a drum.” She held a small drum at her side, while reading the poem, which emphasized the significance of a drum being able to “speak one language.”

Keith has worked at Guilford, in a variety of capacities, for 23 years.

“I love Guilford,” said Keith. “It can be a dysfunctional family, but a lot of good families can be dysfunctional families.”

English Professor Jim Hood read “Reconnaissance,” an original poem.

“I thought it was really appropriate that Jim Hood read his own poetry,” said senior and ASC employee Rachel White. “I thought everyone touched on key aspects of her remarkable presence.”

Junior Julia Hood read the poem “Mud Season.” Hood addressed Keith as: “My Boss, my mentor and my friend.”

Upon retirement Keith, plans to indulge in her creativity.

“I play cello,” said Keith. “I would love to find a group of people that play string quartet because it is the best kind of conversation I know. And I want very much to write. I want to write essays that are sort of memoirs.”

“I think she is the conscience of the college,” said Garner. “She keeps people centered and clear. I tease her and I say it is very selfish for her to leave us.