Spring Into Guilford welcomes prospective students

Prospective first-year students and their parents chat with Vice President for Enrollment and Campus Life Randy Doss (Elizabeth Minehart)

April 8 and 9, Guilford held its second annual Spring Into Guilford, an event for students who have been accepted for the fall and their parents. According to Tania Johnson, Associate Director of Admissions, 300 students registered to attend Spring Into Guilford. About 180 were unsure what college they would ultimately select, and the other 120 students took placement exams, registered for classes, signed up for housing, and met with advisors during the weekend.

The event was put together by Johnson and the rest of the Admission staff, as well as Vance Ricks, Campus Life, IT&S, Conference and Events, Steve Shapiro, and the Guilford Bookstore.

“Coordin-ators Liz Minehart and Morgan Millet have been invaluable in gathering tour guides and other students to do campus tours, participate on panels and mingle with families and students,” said Johnson. “Members of the campus community from all departments, plus local parents and alums have helped to make the program a success by volunteering their time and energy in the planning and implementation phases of Spring Into Guilford.”

First-year Cristin O’Brien helped with the event, helping people find their way around campus, talking to prospective students, and answering questions. O’Brien enjoyed her role in the event, but said on April 8, “They’re really nervous and it’s kind of hard to interact when they’re nervous, but they’ll open up more tomorrow.”

One of the students who had already made the decision to attend Guilford was Turner Dubler from Barrington, R.I. In fact, Guilford was the only school he applied to, which he did in October. Although he knew for sure several months ago that Guilford was right for him, he said, “Meeting actual people was very cool.”

The first day events for students included a welcome from Kent Chabotar and Randy Doss, dinner in the caf with current students, and a coffee social.

Emma Handler, a student from Boxborough, Mass., is still undecided in her college choice, but enjoyed the activities.

“The campus is really pretty, and it’s just as liberal as I thought it would be,” Handler said. “It’s all like, ‘Diversity! We love it!’ “

Parents also attended the welcome and a financial aid information session, ate dinner in the caf, and then could participate in a question and answer session with Randy Doss.

The events of the second day held different schedules for students who had already enrolled and those who were still deciding.

Students who had already made their deposit and selected Guilford were able to register for classes and housing, and attend IT&S information sessions, which means they won’t have to do so during next year’s CHAOS.

The undecided students attended sample classes.

Throughout the weekend, all students could take campus tours, have lunch with current students, and attend Kent Chabotar’s “Reflections on Guilford College,” an academic overview and a dessert reception.

Elisabeth Salinas from Santa Fe, N.M., who is still undecided about where she will attend college said, “I didn’t have much of an idea of what it would be like in the flesh. In terms of the student body, I’m not really surprised. It’s really friendly. I like what I’ve seen so far.”

Laird Allen, a student from Humboldt County, Calif., who is “leaning towards Guilford” agreed, but said, “The food is nothing special.” Allen was impressed by the presentation that highlighted plans for Guilford like reducing class size, though, and said, “The administrators seem really enthusiastic.”

Parents also took campus tours and attended the dessert reception in addition to optional personal financial aid appointments and a program on parenting a college age child.

Michele Smith from Milford, Conn., whose daughter Saron Smith-Hardin will be attending Guilford in the fall, was impressed by the weekend. “It was very well done,” she said. “The students and the faculty were articulate and inspiring.”

Smith was also impressed with Guilford in general. “I think it’s fantastic. I think it’s stupendous. I think it’s really great. I’m really excited about it!” she said.