Alternative healing provides new curative methods

Some people treat them with skepticism, others with undying loyalty. Either way, the alternative healing club is going to stick around at Guilford for at least another year.

The club’s purpose is to teach the Guilford community about the many different ways to heal the body without going to the hospital or taking pain-killers.

“The club just tries to educate people about the many different healing modalities out there,” said junior president Heidi Kessler. “The focus of the group is to bring in guest speakers, whether they are Guilford students, Guilford teachers, or members of the Greensboro community, and have them talk about what they do.”

The club decides which guest speakers to invite at the regular meetings (Monday at 5 p.m. in Boren lounge). Members ask about various interests or healing methods they are curious about. Then the club works to bring people knowledgeable about those methods to the school.

All the guest teachers have one thing in common: they all practice non-traditional methods of healing.

Guilford senior Rebecca Nau lectured on the art of massage therapy earlier this semester.

Guest lecturer John Ryan discussed the merits of neuro-linguistic programming, a cognitive technique that involves visualization and changing inner dialogue to change everyday behavior patterns.

Other past events included a showing of the movie “What the Bleep Do We Know” and a guest speaker, junior Peter Raines, who discussed quantum touch – the practice of channeling energy through the hands into a wounded or sick person.

Practitioners of quantum touch try to address the root of a problem as opposed to the effects of a problem.

“I don’t like the idea of treating symptoms instead of the actual problem,” sophomore Inslee Hackett said. “These healing methods usually focus on treating the person as a whole.”

Though the club is thriving, it was originally treated with skepticism by members of Senate. At one point, Senate told them to wait until next year to seek ratification.

However, the club has grown steadily since its official recognition by the school. Though in the middle of its inaugural semester, the club has witnessed ever-climbing membership levels.

On average, up to 13 people attend weekly meetings.

Some events generate as many as 25 interested people.

“It’s really cool to meet people who talk about how much the techniques work for them,” said Kessler. “So many of the techniques are proactive and healthy, I think it makes sense why so many people like them.”

“I’ve learned ways to center yourself and to reduce stress,” said first-year Ashley Campbell. “I believe in a lot of it. So much of it seems unexplainable.”

Nevertheless, skeptics remain.

“I don’t really believe in [alternative healing] that much,” said sophomore Chris Lampkin. “I think traditional medicine is better. That stuff seems fake.”

All such doubters receive the same reply: go to Boren Lounge on Monday at 5 p.m. to experience alternative methods for yourself.

“The club’s primary goal remains education,” Kessler said. “We want to show people what options are out there and let people make their own decisions.