Former Guilford Students to Open for Slick Rick

Isa Stokes:  Rap artist and Isore Records co-founder -- as well as former Guilford student (Eyal Widder)
Isa Stokes: Rap artist and Isore Records co-founder — as well as former Guilford student (Eyal Widder)

If you are looking for some fun this weekend, you do not want to miss the Hip Hop Conference this Friday and Saturday.On Saturday the 16th, at 12:00 noon by the Lake, former Guilford students Isa Stokes ’04 and Pierre Cadore ’03 will perform the opening act for legendary East Coast rapper Slick Rick. They are predicted to give a rap performance that will amaze even the toughest music critics.

Known for their high quality lyrical content, both Stokes (a.k.a. B-More Slim) and Cadore (a.k.a. P.T.G. — Pierre the Gentlemen), are co-founders of the independent record label Isore Records. They have performed at numerous jam-packed clubs like Skybar and Rhumba Latina, appeared on 102 JAMZ, and mass-produced professional albums sold at record stores including B.B.’s right across the street at Quaker Village. Underground rap circles across the nation know who they are. They are the real deal. And they went to Guilford.

After opening for the Nappy Roots during Serendipity last year, Isore was invited back by Guilford College to perform this coming Saturday. With a versatile flow, ranging from passionate and socially conscious lyrics that immediately bring the critically acclaimed emcee Mos Def’s lyrics to listener’s minds, to laid back and comedic “party rhymes” that make you “just wanna bounce” and enjoy yourself as if you were at a Jay-Z concert, Stokes and Cadore already claim a large number of loyal fans. Their base continues to grow as they perform at each club and university. Friends and classmates here at Guilford particularly look forward to seeing the two well-liked former students represent on the stage.

If you don’t know them, it doesn’t matter. They’re known to put on shows that satisfy even the harshest rap critics. Lets all join in and show some support for our beloved Guilford Alumni by showing up on Saturday by the Lake at 12:00 noon (rain location: the Cafe)!