Duke Univ. man makes, eats sandwich

Fitch in sandwich training as a child (www.crulleau.free.fr)

“It’s the third piece of bread that qualifies it as a club sandwich,” Craig Fitch, a first-year at Duke University, told The New York Times. On Mar. 24, Fitch decided to make himself a sandwich for lunch. “I was just in the mood for a sandwich. I didn’t really want tacos,” he said.

Fitch’s craving soon manifested itself as what Newsweek has called “a culinary masterpiece,” a chicken salad club sandwich with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions. Pickles adorned the side of the plate.

According to The Washington Post, after taking his first bite, Fitch described the sandwich as “fairly good.” The only problem was the degree of toasting.

“I toasted it, just not long enough,” Fitch said.

Fitch’s girlfriend, Ashley Golden, also a first-year at Duke, agreed. “I think it looked great,” she said on a television interview that aired on Mar. 27 on MSNBC. “But he should have toasted it longer.”

According to Fitch’s mother, Nancy Fitch, her son has a history of poor toasting. “I remember when little Craig was still in elementary school,” she said in The New York Times. “He would try to make me breakfast in bed, but the ‘toast’ was just warm bread. I guess he never learned.”

Fitch’s father was not available for comment, but Mrs. Fitch said, “I’m sure Harry will be very proud when he hears about Craig’s sandwich. I just hope he doesn’t hear about the toasting.”

Fitch may never have perfected his toasting skills, but his sandwich still made quite an impression on his fellow students.

Junior Eric Lane saw Fitch creating the sandwich. “His use of the salad bar is incredible,” Lane said in Newsweek. “I usually just make a PB&J or a tuna sandwich, but this kid used three pieces of bread. Three pieces of bread!”

Sophomore Stephanie Carvey was also impressed. “I could never make a sandwich like that!” she told The Washington Post.

According to the Associated Press, Fitch has remained modest, even since his sandwich has made headlines across the country.

“It really wasn’t that hard to make,” he said.

The awe inspired by Fitch’s sandwich led to a short instructional session held on Mar. 25 where Fitch helped seven other students make their own club sandwiches.

Duke senior Derek Fanmore participated in this session.

“My sandwich was delicious!” he told Fox News. “I’m so thankful Craig taught us how to do this. This is a skill we will all carry with us for the rest of our lives.”

Guilford students have also been swept away by the tidal wave of club sandwich making that Fitch’s sandwich started.

In fact, Guilford caf worker Mark Freeman estimates that club sandwich making has gone up as much as 65 percent since last week.

“Club sandwiches are my new favorite food!” said Guilford first-year Elizabeth Windsor.

Guilford College President Kent Chabotar, however, has not given in to the club sandwich craze.

“Guilford is about using however many pieces of bread you want. You want to use two pieces of bread? Use two pieces of bread! You want to use eight pieces of bread? Use eight pieces of bread! Nobody is going to judge you here. That’s what makes Guilford so special.”

Fitch says he plans to make more club sandwiches in the future.

“Maybe I’ll try tuna next time,” he said, “but I’m definitely going to work on my toasting.”

APRIL FOOLS!!! HAHAHA