Students organize campus chapter of NOW for 2005-06

NOW President Kim Gandy spoke at Guilford on Mar. 24 ()

In just six months, Guilford become home to one of over 550 chapters of NOW, the National Organization for Women. “NOW is one of the biggest mainstream women’s organizations,” said Women’s Studies Director and Sociology Professor Kathryn Schmidt. “It has really done a lot of grassroots and legislative work to further gender equality.”

The group focuses on fighting discrimination and harassment in all aspects of our society, securing reproductive rights, and promoting equality and justice in our society.

“NOW has typically focused on a liberal feminist agenda,” Schmidt said. “The focus is on how to bring individual rights to women to allow them to compete on the same plane as men.”

According to the organization’s website, www.now.org, “NOW’s goal has been to take action to bring about equality for all women.”

Sophomore and founder of the upcoming Guilford chapter Rachel Marks agreed, saying, “Feminism is a very complex issue. The simplest definition I can give you is complete equality between genders.”

Guilford’s chapter will address this focus, first on Guilford’s campus, and then in the greater Greensboro area.

“As a sociologist, I think we have to change institutions that make gender inequality possible,” Schmidt said. “but, we also have to change our beliefs.”

Guilford NOW will try to address both institutions and belief structures by hosting educational seminars and organizing demonstrations.

In the spirit of education, Guilford, with the help of Triad NOW, arranged for Kim Gandy, the president of NOW, to speak on March 24.

Among the topics Gandy is expected to address are abstinence-only education in North Carolina and the Violence Against Women Act which is up for more funding in the fall.

“Though I’ve never heard her speak, others have told me she is a very dynamic speaker,” said Schmidt.

In addition, the campus chapter will spend a large amount of time and resources on a pro-choice agenda.

Marks was quick to point out the need for action to be taken, citing that only 15 percent of counties in the United States have abortion providers.

“We will focus mostly on reproductive rights,” Marks said. “Roe vs. Wade legalized abortion, but in practice, not much has changed.”

Anyone interested in joining Guilford NOW should contact Marks (rmarks2) or email the local list server ([email protected]).

Anyone truly applies to all, as NOW is open to men joining as members. They welcome all people with an interest in creating equality between genders.

Though the club does not start officially until next year, it is never too early to speak with like-minded people about how to bring about change.

“Especially where students are concerned, these are issues that will come up many times over the next 10 to 15 years,” Schmidt said. “It will be issues over how many children you can or cannot have, how much you will be paid, and what kind of jobs you can get.