Black History Month celebrations conclude

Dancers perform at Guilford´s celebration of Black History Month ()

Through a collection of skits, performances and presentations, on Feb 22, the Guilford African American Studies Department celebrated Black History Month in an evening, titled “Understanding Our Past…Creating Our Future.” Jazz music orchestrated by the N.C. A&T Jazz Ensemble marked the evening. The master of ceremonies, senior Cesar Weston, introduced first performer, sophomore Jada Drew.

Drew performed “Phenomenal Women,” verse by black author Maya Angelou, to cheers from the audience.

“I am a phenomenal woman, a phenomenal woman that’s me,” read Drew.

Next, CCE student Dionne Curry’s read Angelou’s celebrated poem “I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.” Curry said that Angelou’s poem immortalizes the spirit inherent in African American generations even in the face of hardships and struggle.

“A caged bird sings of freedom,” concluded Curry’s reading.

Dressed in yellow and blue, the A&T State University Gospel choir sang next. Shaking hips and moving feet, they clapped and laughed to high-tempo music.

The evening’s events also recreated African American struggles and hardships for its audience of around 200. Each performance sought to celebrate the obstacles overcome by African American people.

For example Crystal Ellen spoke of Shirley Chisholm, the first African American women in Congress, who ran for the U.S. presidency in 1972.

“I ran because someone had to be first,” Ellen reported Chisholm as having said. Chisholm, like many others, fought for inclusion so blacks could take control of and shape their own destiny.

Shifting from women to men, Ameryst’s lyrical “One Rib” was a tribute to all black men. Her rhymes, lyrics and style, which received a standing ovation, celebrated black men, who engage in a struggle “from the womb to the tomb.”

Another performance, “Unsung Heroes,” commemorated African American contributions to society. Remembering scientists and inventors responsible for peanut butter, door stops and blood plasma separation, among others, the skit reminded the audience of the role black pioneers played in world history.

“Africa is the cradle of intellect, not just the home of humanity,” said skit performer Lou Berrier.

In a speech, Gerard Connell underlined the present state of far-from-equal services, status and positions of African Americans.

“There is still no equal education in public schools,” said Connell. “It’s not fair, but we can change that. You and I can make a change.”

Towards the end of the ceremony, CCE student Larry Draughn read of the “Spoken Towards the end of the ceremony, CCE student Larry Draughn read of the “Spoken Word” from the Last Poet. Draughn believes that The Last Poet’s Blues were very true, and by reading them he intended to enlighten as well as entertain.

“I sang the blues in church on Sunday. Slavin’ on Monday, Misused on Tuesday, Abused on Wednesday, Accused on Thursday, Fried alive on Friday, and died on Saturday. Sho’nuff singin’ the blues,” read Draughn.

Draughn grew up in the ’60s, attended a predominantly white school and was very involved in the civil rights movement. He believes that Black History Month should be celebrated simply because accomplishments of black Americans have never been truly and honestly told.

“Everybody has been lied to, black and white. It’s important to celebrate Black History Month because it’s American history,” said Draughn. “It just wouldn’t be American, if the accomplishments of black Americans weren’t honored.”

Senior Kate Doom agrees. She believes the evening’s celebration of black history is a part of Guilford’s tradition of celebrating diversity.

“(This black history celebration) is not just a formality. It’s not something we are obligated to do by any means because it’s the month of February,” said Doom. “It can be a fun celebration and a fun learning experience. And so (the evening) was.”

Junior Tanya Madenyika also thought that the evening served its purpose.

“It attracted a very diverse audience,” said Madenyika. “It was a well-organized show that included remarkable poetry, skits and excellent music on black history.”

Rennee Daye who followed Draughn, summarized the evening’s celebrations. She said, “Tonight I want to take a moment to challenge you to take an interest in African American History, not just for February but for the rest of the year.”

In her closing remarks, Tonya Marion took Daye’s message even further.

“I would like to challenge each and every one of you to find something you believe in and live it,” she said. “You have the power.