Talk back: Letters to the Editor (Public Safety)

To the editor:
Elizabeth Minehart, a Guilford student, made allegations of unprofessional conduct by Public Safety staff in a letter to the editor of The Guilfordian published Feb. 4.

On behalf of the Public Safety Department, I want to personally apologize to Elizabeth Minehart if any officers, staff, or student conducted themselves unprofessionally in anyway.

I am inviting Elizabeth to meet with me to discuss her concerns. It would have been far more productive to meet with me first before launching such a serious and unprovoked attack in our campus newspaper, but that seems to be the way that a diminishing but still substantial number of students prefer to deal with their concerns.

The “new” Guilford College that is emerging believes in direct dialogue and data driven decision making rather than fact-free public trashing of individuals and departments.

After an intense investigation of my department, I can only find evidence to support one of her allegations.

1. Elizabeth alleged that an officer gave “attitude” in response to an inquiry about parking. Public safety officers are trained to deal sensitively with anyone they encounter. Any departure from that practice would indeed be unprofessional. No officer recalls having such an encounter with Elizabeth.

2. Elizabeth alleged that an officer discussed “busts that the Greensboro Police Department had made on campus that evening.” Public Safety has a policy not to discuss such matters publicly. No officer recalls discussing any matters of this type with Elizabeth.

3. Elizabeth alleged that she was told by a Public Safety officer escorting her to the alternative houses that she could “walk the rest of the way” at some point en route. Public Safety has a policy to accompany those requesting an escort to their destination. No officer recalls failing to complete an escort assignment with Elizabeth.

4. Elizabeth alleged that a Public Safety officer unlocked the art studio to allow an unauthorized person to enter and deposit some materials. Public Safety has a policy not to unlock rooms for unauthorized persons. The art studio is used by various people with the authorization of instructors. No officer recalls unlocking the studio for an unauthorized person.

5. Elizabeth challenged me to hold open office hours. I have been holding open office hours in the lower level of Bauman each Wednesday from 9 a.m. to noon and welcome students, faculty and staff to visit without appointment to discuss Public Safety operations.

6. Elizabeth stated that she received a parking ticket in error. This is, in fact, true and as a result of a clerical mistake by a Public Safety staff member. The situation has been resolved.

Public Safety has a goal of fostering positive interaction and two-way communication between its staff and the campus community. Come see me if we do not meet that standard 24/7.

Reginald Hayes
Director of Public Safety
[email protected]
316-2907