Kerry Atkinson is basketball team’s first Player of the Week

First-year Kerry Atkinson became the first member of the ´04-´05 basketball squad to receive  the ODAC Player of the Week Award ()
First-year Kerry Atkinson became the first member of the ´04-´05 basketball squad to receive the ODAC Player of the Week Award ()

After his performance Jan. 8 and 9 in basketball games against Randolph-Macon and Virginia Wesleyan, Kerry Atkinson received the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) Player of the Week award.
Atkinson is the first Quaker player to receive the award this season. He is a first-year at Guilford, making his accomplishment even more notable.
In the first game against Randolph-Macon on Jan. 8th, Atkinson scored 11 points in the first half of the game, and finished with 14. Atkinson led all scorers in the 76-69 Quaker victory.
On, Jan. 9th, Atkinson finished with five rebounds and 20 points in the win against number-14 Virginia Wesleyan. Atkinson made more than half of the field-goals he attempted, and three of four 3-point shots. He averaged 17 points in the two games.
Atkinson may play hard, but he says he does it for fun. He grew up in Atlanta, where he began playing basketball in kindergarten. Though he’s not looking at basketball as a career, Atkinson said if it turns out that way he won’t complain.
Head coach Tom Palombo is pleased with what Atkinson has done for the Quakers thus far.
“Kerry has been a great lift for our team, since he started playing for us,” said Palombo. “He has had tremendous spark. He is a great open-court player and his defense is improving. He gives great energy to the team.”
Atkinson sees basketball in his future, whether it becomes his career or not. Though he loves the sport, Atkinson wants to do more. His main objective is to start a non-profit organization to give back to black communities.
Atkinson especially wants to focus on inner-city and impoverished communities, possibly through children’s sports programs.
“He is such a good kid,” said Palombo. “He has a wonderful approach to the game, and is so focused. He has great concentration.”
Atkinson is majoring in African-American Studies and English, but would like to take some business classes to help start his non-profit organization. He also has many other ideas for a career — all directed at helping others. Atkinson has considered making use of his English major by becoming a lawyer.
Atkinson sees law as an opportunity to make a lot of money to fuel his community work. “I’ll get a small house for myself, but I’ll give most of the money to charity,” he said.
He gets all of his inspiration to help others and enthusiasm for basketball from his Christian faith.
“As long as you stay in the hands of God, you will succeed,” Atkinson said. This mantra plays in his head as he plays on the court. “I let God carry me through each game,” he said. Atkinson believes that this is much of the reason for his success.