Bush announces increase in federal Pell Grant

Bush promised an increase to the Pell Grant in the ´00 presidential campaign  ()
Bush promised an increase to the Pell Grant in the ´00 presidential campaign ()

In an effort to ease tuition sticker shock, President George Bush plans to ask Congress to raise the maximum amount awarded for the Pell Grant by $100 every year for the next five years, according to a report filed Jan. 15 by CNN.com.
The increase was originally proposed during the 2000 presidential campaign when Bush pledged to raise the grant from a stagnant $4050 to $5100 per student.
“Students should aim high in life, that is what the Pell grant can be used for,” said Bush in a report released by the Associated Press.
Budget shortfalls and a $413 billion federal deficit forced the original increase of $1050 per student to fall to $500 per student.
According to the College Board, education costs have steadily risen far beyond the national inflation level for years. In 2004, four-year universities recorded a 10.5 percent tuition increase; overall inflation averaged about 2.0 percent from 2001 through 2003.
According to The Seattle Times, Bush didn’t offer details on his plan to obtain the savings to put towards the grant increase, a White House aide said. The list of cost-saving proposals includes cutting government subsidies to lenders who provide student loans.
“We’ve been down this road before, families with college age children should not count their chickens before they hatch,” said Senator Edward Kennedy to The Seattle Times.
The government’s budget had a surplus when Bush took office late in 2000, but the war with Iraq, Bush-sponsored tax cuts and a recession are contributing to the skepticism about whether or not the President can follow through with his promises.
Felicia Johnson, a senior CCE student and English major, said she is glad to hear about the proposed Pell Grant increase but wonders what we as students will lose or compromise in the process.
“We have to look at the big picture when the issue of a financial increase is on the table,” said Johnson.
She went on to say that though it is hard to get involved and be informed at a time when college life takes hold of your life, we have to make it a priority to inform ourselves on any changes that may come about and affect the future of those who will come after us.
Many students at Guilford College receive Pell Grant awards ranging from $400 to $4050 based on need and cost.
“If I can get more money then maybe I can spend less time working and more time on my school work,” said Alena Fast, a senior Theatre Studies major.
This sentiment is echoed by Vita Generalova, a junior Theatre Studies major.
“I support the decision to raise the grant because the current amount is too low and many people have to take out loans to finish paying for tuition, so if an increase in the grant means less money I will have to pay after college, then I definitely support it.