Bookstore rip-off

Is the college´s bookstore setup really the best for all involved? ()

I went to the bookstore today and paid $48.15 for two used textbooks that I found out later I could have had for $20.60, including shipping, at Half.com. Unfortunately, I needed the books immediately, and could not wait for the books to arrive.

I did, however, order the remaining five books on my list for about $75, far less than I would have paid at the bookstore. The Guilford bookstore and Follett Higher Education Group, the company that Guilford outsourced bookstore management and operations to nearly three years ago, overprices used books.

This is bad news not only for the students, but for the bookstore itself. Everybody loses in the long run.

The disadvantage to students is obvious.

College students, many of whom are experiencing financial freedom for the first time, are already pressed for cash. For many of us, this is the first time we are paying for things like toothpaste and deodorant-things our parents covered in the past, not to mention college tuition.

A $300 book expense is not a small deal. Yes, textbooks are notoriously expensive, but Follett seems to be even more expensive than other textbook suppliers.

Overpricing is harmful to the bookstore as well, even though it may seem like they are making more money.

Students realize they are being overcharged by the bookstore, and therefore try to avoid it whenever possible, decreasing the business that the bookstore receives.

According to the Guilford College Bookstore Report on the Guilford Web site, in a survey of 135 students and 24 faculty members, the store’s pricing received an average rating of 2.5 on a scale of 1-10.

If prices were lower, however, students would think more fondly of the bookstore, and would go there more often, in the long run bringing in more money for the store, and saving money and time for the students.

A pamphlet distributed by the bookstore, entitled, “Why Do My Textbooks Cost So Much?!” explains that campus bookstores must charge the prices that they do in order to pay for the books themselves, for utilities and rent to keep the store running, and to pay employees.

I am not criticizing the bookstore for charging what is necessary for it to survive, but the income from the new textbooks it sells, as well as the overpriced Guilford merchandise and supplies (like a $5 mechanical pencil and notebooks that are $7.49 each) should cover that.

I am complaining about the bookstore ripping students off in both buying back and selling used books.

The bookstore pays students 50% of the current retail value of a book. If a book is worth $100, the student selling it to the store will receive $50. I propose either a 25% increase in the money given to students for their used books or a 25% decrease in the amount used textbooks are sold for. Either give the student $75 for their book, or sell it for $75.

As for students, I suggest they contact their professors as soon as they know what classes they are taking to find out what books are required. As soon as you know what books you need, check out Overstock.com, Half.com, Ebay.com. Barnesandnoble.com, or any other website you can find that sells used textbooks.

Encourage your friends at Guilford and other schools to do the same.

Maybe the bookstore and Follett will see that if they take advantage of us, we won’t spend our money there. Perhaps then, prices will become reasonable, and the bookstore will become a helpful resource for students and make more profit for itself.