The season in review: Sports team highlights

As the semester comes to an end and students pull out their hair studying for final exams and trying to find a way home for winter break, the college’s athletic programs are in transition as attention shifts from the fall season to winter sports. The football team finished the season with a record of 1-9 and a record of 1-6 for the Old Dominion Athletic Conference (ODAC) with the season’s single win against Catholic on Nov.6.

Guilford punter Christian Adams earned Don Hansen’s Football Gazette First All-South honors Dec. 2. Adams was a Second-Team Football Gazette All-Star pick in 2003, as well as was the first student-athlete from Guilford to receive back-to-back First-Team ODAC football laurels since 1997. He set the Guilford record and ranked fourth in Division III with a 41.6-yard punting average in 2003, according to the Athletic Department.

The women’s volleyball team finished their season with a record 8-21 with a conference record of 3-8. Senior Mackenzie Parsio led the Quakers in kills, attempts, and hitting percentage finishing second on the team in blocks and third in service aces this season. She also earned a spot on the Second Team All-ODAC volleyball squad, announced Nov. 5.

Parsio set records for kills in a season and average kills per game (5.03). Her 508 kills surpassed the previous single season mark of 416, set by Brenda Davis in 1991. Parsio led the team with 1,321 attempts and had a .172 hitting percentage. She tallied 911 career kills in just three seasons, placing her fourth on the Quakers’ all-time set list.

The men’s soccer team finished the season with an overall record of 9-7-4 and an ODAC record of 5-1-3. A Dec. 4 press release named seniors Matt Feraci and Darriel Cannon as earning First Team All ODAC honors. Senior Steffen Schollaert took home second team laurels and classmate Brett Ralls received an honorable mention. Feraci, a forward, became the first Quaker to lead the ODAC in scoring with 42 points, 19 goals, and four assists in 19 games. Cannon, Feraci’s high school team-mate, made the all-star team as a midfielder and was named ODAC player of the week.

According to Assistant Sports Information Director Mathew Grosso, the women’s soccer team had a record setting year with a final record of 12-8-2 and an ODAC record of 7-2-2 in the ODAC. The record 12 wins broke the previous streak set in 2003. With a season that included a nine-game winning streak, the team advanced to the ODAC semi-finals for the first time in the program’s history. Senior Kimberly Mullen and junior Chelsea Glover earned Second-Team ODAC honors while sophomore Jennifer Mundy received an honorable mention.

Meanwhile, the men’s basketball team, coached by Tom Palombo, has a record of 2-2 with an ODAC record of 0-1. The Quakers lost to Emory and Henry on Dec.1 with a score of 80-73. Currently the team is on a four game road trip that began Dec. 4 against Lynchburg, when they were defeated in overtime by four points. On Dec. 29 they will return to the friendly confines of Alumni Gym on to take on the Wisconsin-Lacrosse Eagles.

The women’s basketball team is currently sporting a record of 2-2 with a ODAC record of 0-0. The Lady Quakers burst on to the scene outperforming the Panthers of Ferrum College and the Cougars of Averett University. Unfortunately the Quakers came up short in their last two contests by losing to Greensboro College by 23 points and then losing a two point heartbreaker to Meredith College. Before winter break the Quakers will travel to Lexington Va. to play Washington and Lee Generals on Dec. 9, before returning home to sting the Wasps of Emory and Henry on Dec. 11.