College hosts ecumenical Thanksgiving celebration

A crowd of 300 gathered in Guilford College’s Dana auditorium for an ecumenical Thanksgiving celebration at 4 p.m. on Nov. 20, 2004. Co-sponsored by The Piedmont Interfaith Council and the Greensboro Human Relations Commission, the event has been held in Greensboro annually for 22 years. This year, event participants gave thanks for diversity, carrying the theme: “Bridging Differences, Building Unity.” An hour of multimedia programming included narrative descriptions, a Latino folk dancing group, The Panamanian Angels, African folk dancing group The E. Gwynn Dancers from N.C.A & T, and celebratory song.

Jo Hull, a coordinator of the Piedmont Interfaith Council, designed and wrote the program’s narration with her husband, Dr. James E. Hull. She said that the event was designed to “convey the diversity of the Greensboro area and to see how much we have in common as a human family.”

Dr. Hull, a former CCE professor at Guilford College, began presenting the program in 1983 as part of Greensboro’s 175th anniversary. The program is not meant to be a formal worship service, but rather an uplifting event with spiritual overtones.

With an American Flag backdrop stretching the width of the stage, a representative from each of the city’s 12 largest faith communities stood beneath banners while each read a passage or thought that expressed their religious values. Members of the Baha’i, Buddhist, Greek Orthodox, Hindu, Islamic, Jain, Jewish, American Indian, Protestant, Roman Catholic, Sikh and Unitarian communities participated.

Nooshi Oskui, event narrator, began the flag ceremony by describing Greensboro as a kaleidoscope that is “brightened by our neighbor’s religion.” Oskui also said that the preservation of America depends on our willingness to “actively seek to understand our neighbors.”

Basil Agapion represented the Greek Orthodox faith with an excerpt from Psalm 95. Agapion said he participated in the event because it was “very interesting to come and see different cultures and different faiths gathered in one place.”

Agapion’ passage began with “O come, let us sing to the Lord.” Other participants recited core philosophies from their traditions. Vandy Chhum, a Buddist, said “The ugliness we see in each other is a reflection of ourselves.”

The Triad Tapestry Children’s Chorus performed several songs, including “Peace Be With You,” sung in 14 languages. Seven- to eleven-year-old children of all ethnic and religious backgrounds provided the chorus voices. Jo Hull says the group represents “the human tapestry.”

Ben and Julia Wilson of Winston-Salem attended the event at the invitation of a friend. The couple said that the program was worthwhile. “It gets you in the chest” said Mrs. Wilson. “Under that American Flag; you feel the emotions of unity, coming together.” Mr. Wilson had never seen so many people of differing faiths in one place and remarked “especially in these times, diversified unity made the difference.