The challenge of eating healthy foods in the caf

The “freshman 15” is not just a myth. Eating well in a cafeteria can be a challenge, especially when students are presented with so many unhealthy options. According to a study done three years ago by Cornell University nutritional sciences and psychology professor David Levitsky, male and female students gained an average of five pounds during their first semester at college. This would add up to 15 pounds by the beginning of the next school year if the gain continued at the same rate.

Luckily, Guilford’s caf provides several options for healthy eating, if students know where to look and what to avoid.

Foods and drinks to enjoy
* Your mom didn’t tell you to “eat your vegetables” just to torture you; vegetables are high in fiber with lots of the nutrients and vitamins we need to stay healthy including calcium, iron, magnesium, and several others. Fortunately, the caf always has lots of vegetables. When the exhibition cooking is available, you can even pick the veggies you want in stir fry or omelets.

* One of the caf’s greatest features is its salad bar. Avoid the iceberg lettuce; it has no nutritional value. Use the dark green lettuce instead.

* There is more to the salad bar than salad. If none of the healthy options from the main buffet look appealing, you can go to the other part of the salad bar which is always stocked with bread, peanut butter, jelly, tuna fish, and other sandwich fillings.

* Take advantage of the fruit. Oranges are packed with Vitamin C and eating them can help you avoid those nasty colds that circulate through the campus constantly. Bananas contain potassium, which can help relieve muscle cramps.

* If you’re a cereal fan, go for Raisin Bran, granola, and Cheerios. Don’t indulge on sugary cereals.

* Water is the ultimate drink. Drink it.

* Low-fat milk is another great way to satisfy your thirst and get some calcium without consuming too much fat. According to Health.msn.com, up to 75% of an adult’s calcium intake can come from milk. Be sure to look at the labels on the milk dispenser and try to opt for 1% or skim.

Foods to avoid
* Minimize your consumption of pizza and fries. They may be tempting but aren’t worth it. Just dab these foods with your napkin if you want to witness the disgusting grease they are covered in. You don’t want to put that in your body.

* Cut down on sodas. Sugary soft drinks erode your teeth and have tons of calories. Drinking too much can even increase chances of developing diabetes. Skip the soda and go for water or milk.

* Avoid fried foods. This is challenging, especially at our caf, but fried foods are very high in fat. Sophomore Abby Blodgett said, “I think they try to give us healthy options, but everything they say is healthy is actually very greasy. It’s not actually good for you.”

* Go without butter and salt. They may be tasty, but they cause blood pressure problems.

* Don’t eat dessert at every meal. The caf has great sweets, but don’t be tempted every time. If you have to satisfy your sweet tooth, use the frozen yogurt machine.

Snacks
* Try a bagel, fruit, or half a peanut butter sandwich for a healthy snack.

* Avoid the vending machines.

Other tips
Helen Rice, R.N. at Guilford, took a trip to the caf to see what kinds of foods were offered and how students were eating. Her biggest concern was with portions.

“People are eating too much, even of the good stuff,” she said. She said the buffet style of the caf makes people “eat like they were never going to eat again,” and reminded students that a portion is about the size of a palm.

Rice also recommends not eating after 7 or 8 p.m. and exercising for 30 minutes three to four times a week.

Staying healthy can be difficult in college, but personal care will improve not only your physical health, but also your social life and grades. Consider what is best for your body.