Guilford bookstore gets new manager and new style

()
()

Matt Walker, previously the assistant manager of the bookstore at Elon College, joined the Guilford community in early November. He brings five years of experience from managing numerous Barnes and Noble college bookstores to the job. He says, “I am looking forward to many wonderful years on campus.” Walker has a staff of four employees, including textbook manager Mellony Dargan, who Walker described as his right hand.

Walker intends to make a plethora of changes. “My goal is to make the bookstore and myself as visible on campus as possible,” said Walker. In addition to requesting more students’ input by meeting with student organizations, and adding more student workers, Walker plans to hold various raffles, contests and giveaways throughout the coming academic semesters. Students are encouraged to participate in the effort and become “educated about Follett.”

On Nov. 18 the bookstore supported the Grill’s grand opening by offering raffles and giveaways. On Dec. 1 faculty and staff will get an extra 10% off of purchases for Appreciation Day. During exam week, which Walker says is the best time for students to sell books back, Coca-Cola will be sponsoring buyback and they plan to raffle a BMX Bike worth approximately $300.

The bookstore is owned and managed by Follett Higher Education Group since 2000. That will not change nor will there be any changes in pricing or location according to Trish Large, Follett “troubleshooter.”

Walker is making changes to the bookstore website which will show Guilford images and allows students and faculty to buy items sold in the bookstore. In addition, faculty can place book orders on the website.

The changes have been reviewed in the Guilford College Bookstore Report, published at. The bookstore taskforce wrote the report to educate students, faculty and staff about plans ensuring their needs are being met. The Bookstore Task Force (BTF) was made up of administration staff, faculty and students from the Guilford community, and DGC (Duvall Group Consulting Inc.). The consulting group was brought in to analyze the bookstore and its contract with Guilford.

The recommendations ranged from extending bookstore hours to bridging the communication gap between campus and the bookstore. An advisory committee has which includes Jerry Boothby, Vice President of Finance and Administrative/Vice Chair, is actively working with the bookstore to assist in the implementation of an action plan outlined for the 2004-05 academic year.

The report is a summary of operational and financial review per the contract between the Follett Higher Education Group Inc., the largest owner/operator of college bookstores, and Guilford College. There were findings, recommendations, survey results and a financial analysis which say that the changes needed have taken place. People directly from the Guilford community gave their input and the recommendation stated that Guilford should continue to use the Follett Higher Education Group to manage the bookstore. However, the report did cite some areas in need of improvement, such as building stronger lines of communication, greater product selection and a more proactive approach to customer service.

The bookstore has changed in some way: hours have been extended during rush periods and an advisory committee now works with the store in an effort to make sure the needs of the campus are being met.