Psychologist, author Mary Pipher visits, speaks

(Inslee Hackett)
(Inslee Hackett)

Mary Pipher wants people to be a cultural broker to refugees.
She wants Americans to help refugees read and write, be aware of the social nuances that can be confusing to people new to our country and welcome these people who have struggled to get to a safe place.
..Pipher is an award-winning author whose bestselling book, Reviving Ophelia, allowed parents a new understanding into teenage girls’ struggles. She has a bachelor’s degree in cultural anthropology from the University of California at Berkeley and a doctorate in clinical psychology from the University of Nebraska.
Pipher spoke to a full auditorium Oct. 26 as part of the Bryan series lectures, this year’s theme being “Challenges facing Democracy.” She was a panelist in an Oct. 27 meeting discussing refugee issues as well.
The Middle of Everywhere, a personal account of her experiences being a cultural broker in Lincoln, Nebraska, her hometown, was the topic of the evening. She shared anecdotes surrounding the families she has helped and befriended. One man who had not been in the U.S. long received a flyer in the mail saying he had won 5,000 dollars. He dropped to the floor, shouting, “Thank you Allah, thank you.” Pipher helped him off the floor and had to tell this man that it was a trick, he had not won anything.
Five Kurdish sisters without much money shared their homemade native food with Pipher. The same family showed up at Pipher’s Fourth of July barbecue waving American flags. To these women, a party where they could wear shorts and celebrate freedom with hamburgers was remarkable.
The audience laughed, delighting in the fact that such innocence still exists.
Pipher told the story of how she became involved with the refugees in her community. She noticed the differently dressed women on the streets and the new restaurants serving exotic food. That piqued her interest and led to a phone call to a local organization that helped refugees. She signed herself up to help. “I started calling people who worked with refugees and
volunteered my services. I went to the impoverished areas of Lincoln and started my work there.”
One thing from which refugees can greatly benefit is help with education according to Pipher. “Anybody can volunteer to go to a school, sit in a study hall and help a refugee read. Another thing people can do is volunteer to be a tutor to adults and help them with English.” Pipher said.
She also named journalists as an important factor in helping communities cope with the changes refugees bring.
“Journalists are really important. Refugees are coming into my town and your town too. There’s a lot of people who aren’t racist but just don’t get involved, they’re just indifferent. Linclon’s newspaper as a staff, as an institution, made a real commitment to educate our citizens. Newspapers can be a cultural broker because people need to know how to think about these issues. If they don’t hear it from the news they might hear it from a talk radio show that spreads hate messages.”
Vivian Lutian, ESL instructor and CCE career counselor at Guilford attended Wednesday’s town hall meeting on refugees. As an ESL instructor Lutian has heard first hand the difficult stories of immigrants and refugees. “What bravery, what courage to come to a new country. I come from the viewpoint that there’s plenty of room here.” Lutian said. She also encouraged students to reach out and help but recognized the dedication of students that currently volunteer. ‘We’ve got some terrific students volunteering” said Lutian.
The Middle of Everywhere is Greensboro’s One City One Book title this year. Many schools, institutions, and individuals have read this book to gain an understanding of refugees and their sometimes painful, dangerous journey to America. Discussion forums, lectures and poetry readings featuring ethnic music have taken place to educate the public and celebrate the many cultures in Greensboro.
Pipher encouraged Guilford students to volunteer their time and offered Lutheran Family Services as a way to get involved. Pat Priest, assistant vice president of refugee and immigration services of Lutheran Family Services, welcomes all members of the Guilford community to become cultural brokers. According to Priest there are many ways that students can reach out. Tutoring children, teaching adults how to read and write English, and babysitting while the adults are in ESL class are just a few ways volunteers are needed.
In many cases, internship requirements can be fulfilled through Lutheran Family Services. “The students tell us how valuable these lessons are and for the refugees themselves.” Service organizations like the Bonners Scholar program co-sponsor single refugees and refugee families. They collect donations such as household items and arrange transportation committees. Priest said that students bring their own element to volunteering. “The energy students bring is vibrant” she said.
Area manager Shirley Thoms is the contact person for anyone interested in volunteer work. The phone number is 378-7881. Lutheran Family Services is located at 415 N. Edgeworth St. in Greensboro.