World News in Brief

U.S. aid to help Angola recoverIntegrated Regional Information Networks (IRIN) reported Sept. 22 that Angola’s social services sector received a U.S. grant totaling $55 million. An estimated $27.5 million is earmarked for expanding the Social Aid Fund, which is part of the government’s effort to regenerate local infrastructure destroyed during Angola’s 27-year civil war. Eighteen Angolan provinces are expected to benefit. Remaining funds will go to community social projects like the rebuilding of primary schools, the construction of health posts, and the repair of bridges. (IRIN is part of the U.N. Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs.)

Nuclear rivals commit to bilateral dialogue

The Washington Post reported that Indian Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Pakistani President Pervez Musharraf agreed to pursue a state of “normalcy and cooperation” during a private meeting on the sidelines of the U.N. General Assembly Sept. 24. Singh and Musharraf also discussed a joint gas pipeline project to establish closer economic ties between their two nations. In a joint statement, they said the pipeline via Pakistan to India “could contribute to the welfare and prosperity of people of both countries.”

Award-winning photojournalist dies

Pulitzer Prize-winning photojournalist Eddie Adams died Sept. 18 of Lou Gehrig’s disease. He was 71. According to The New York Times, Adams covered 13 wars during his 45-year career, and amassed some 500 photojournalism awards. One of his most famous works is a 1968 black-and-white photograph that captures the exact moment that Brig. Gen. Nguyen Ngoc Loan, who was national police chief of South Vietnam at the time, fired a bullet into the head of a Viet Cong prisoner standing an arm’s length away.

“Greensboro Four” to be
immortalized on stamp

The Greensboro News & Record reported that the “Greensboro Four” will be commemorated United States Postal Service-style. North Carolina A&T State University students Jibreel Khazan, Franklin McCain, Joseph McNeil, and David Richmond famously demanded service from a whites-only lunch counter inside a Woolworth’s in downtown Greensboro Feb. 1, 1960. The stamp will be part of a series of 10 featuring key moments in the U.S. civil rights movement. USPS officials said the stamp will be released sometime next year.