Pair of lion cubs born at N.C. ZOO, first in 21 years

Male lion ()
Male lion ()

The N.C. Zoo has tiny-fuzzy-baby-lions! Start planning the carpool, because they’ll be on exhibit by the end of September.
The drive to the zoo in Asheboro is easy: take I-40 E to US-220 S and follow the signs. The trip takes about 40 minutes.
Two female African lions were born at the N.C. Zoo on July 17. A five-year-old male is the first-time daddy and remains on exhibit while the mother recuperates off-exhibit with her cubs.
Lynn Moseley, Professor of Biology and Natural Sciences Division Director, said these were the first lions born at the N.C. Zoo in 21 years. For a zoo only 30 years old, the second youngest in the country, it was critical to show progress in species procreation. “People are celebrating the fact that we finally have a lion pride that’s well integrated and established,” said Moseley.
Having seen the cubs one week after their birth while interning at the zoo, sophomore Anne Belott can attest, “they’re mad cute.”
And of course there is plenty to see at the zoo besides lions. With 500 acres of developed property, and an additional 900 acres for future developments like an Asian Continent exhibit and possibly an aquarium, the N.C. Zoo is the nation’s largest natural habitat zoo.
The African Plains exhibit spans 37 acres, which is the full size of many other zoos. In this huge open exhibit there are dozens of different species, such as the ostrich, impala, and elephant, “that you can’t see anywhere else that I know of outside Africa,” said Moseley.
Visitors can walk along the perimeter of the Plains or stand on the observatory and overlook the entire exhibit. Senior Heather Upchurch amusingly remarked, “when you are standing on that landing, overlooking all the different animals stretched out below you, you can’t help but feel like you are on Pride Rock in The Lion King.”
The natural habitat theme of the zoo should still the qualms of anti-zoo skeptics. “The key phrase is natural habitat,” said Moseley. The N.C. Zoo demonstrates a trend in holding fewer animals with more space to roam. Moseley and Belott both believe that the Asheboro Zoo is an excellent establishment in this regard.
The zoo is heavily engaged in wildlife rehabilitation and research. It currently holds two polar bears on exhibit that zoo personnel rescued from a circus in Mexico. “They really care about the animals,” said Belott.
The zoo is also valuable for public awareness. “The more people have an opportunity to observe wild animals,” said Moseley, “the more likely they will be to realize the need for protecting habitats for wildlife.”
So hit up that friend of yours with a car, get out of the Guilford bubble, and go see what the Asheboro Zoo is all about. “It’s a really good day trip,” said Belott. “Just go early to beat the crowds and bring a lunch.”
If you want to see the baby lion cubs, wait until the end of September and give the zoo a call at 1-800-488-0444 to make sure they are on exhibit.