National Sports Briefs

PHILADELPHIA –
Veterans Stadium is no more.
3000 pounds of explosives took down the former home of the Phillies and Eagles Sunday, March 21. Former Phillie Greg Luzinski and the Phillie Phanatic pushed the ceremonial red plunger for the explosives to go off.
Contractors will be clearing the site, and it will become a 5,500-space parking lot in South Philadelphia.
The Vet was infamous for its horrible playing surface and unruly fans, especially in the upper level, a.k.a. the 700 level. The Phillies and Eagles called it home for more than 30 years.
The Phillies will open their new park, Citizens Bank Park April 12, and the Eagles opened Lincoln Financial Field last season.DALLAS – Stars defenseman Teppo Numminen has been diagnosed with a dilated aorta and is out indefinitely.
“Our primary concern at this time is Teppo’s health,” general manager Doug Armstrong said. “Thankfully they caught this problem now, and he can work with doctors to correct it and live a long, healthy life.”
The Finland-born Numminen has played in 1,157 games, second most of all European players. He has played with Winnipeg and Phoenix, and was traded to Dallas last season for Mike Sillinger.
If all goes well, Numminen could return to the ice next season.
*Quote from sportsillustrated.cnn.com

ATHENS, Greece – The Greek government waived plans to build a roof over the Olympic swimming pool because it would be impossible to complete it in time for the games.
The proposed roof would have protected athletes from scorching sun and improved television coverage of the games.
Swimming test competition will be held at the facility April 14-18, but only if weather permits.
The main facility for the summer games, which includes the pool, is slated to be completed July 20. Some experts believe the work will not be done in time for the games to begin on Aug. 13.