National Sports Briefs & Guilford Scores

GRAMBLING, La. – Grambling head football coach Doug Williams resigned from the university and will take a front-office position with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
His resignation came as a surprise to the program, but he sees his exit as a great opportunity for the next coach and the team for the 2004 season.
“We’re scared of change,” he told his team at a meeting Feb. 13. “But you can’t be afraid of opportunity. This is not something you will probably understand now, but you will one day. In the meantime, you’ve got an opportunity to graduate – that’s your next opportunity,” said the former Super Bowl MVP.
Grambling quarterback Bruce Eugene was visibly shaken by the announcement. “No one is taking this harder than me. We’ve got mixed emotions. But we’re happy for you.”
Williams was 52-18 in six seasons with his alma mater.
Quotes from sportsillustrated.cnn.comBOSTON – The Boston Celtics are attempting to release veteran Vin Baker. If successful, the Celtics would not have to pay the four-time all star $36 million over the next two seasons.
Boston is attempting to drop Baker because he has violated his alcohol abuse rehab program.
Baker missed two months during the 2002-2003 season because of problems with alcohol abuse. If the Celtics are successful in releasing Baker they would not be active in the free-agent market, but the savings could keep the team out of the luxury tax bracket.
In a statement released Feb. 11, Baker said, “I am surprised and disappointed that I have not been cleared to play as of today, but I remain optimistic knowing I have gone above and beyond what has been asked of me during my absence.”
Quote from foxsports.com

ROME – Cyclist Marco Pantani was found dead in a hotel room in the Adriatic resort city of Rimini Feb. 14.
Pantani, 34, was the last cyclist to win the Tour de France before Lance Armstrong. Several bottles of medicine were found in his room, but suicide has been ruled out. The early information suggests cardiac arrest, but an autopsy has not been done.
Pantani was the first Italian to win the Tour de France and the Giro d’Italia in the same year, 1998, since Fausto Coppi did it in 1952.
Accusations of blood doping followed Pantani’s career but he denied them. He was kicked out of the Giro in 1999 for failing a random drug test, and in 2001 syringes filled with insulin were found in his room. He was suspended for six months.
“He certainly made some errors … He fell in with the wrong crowd,” said Eddy Merck, long-time cyclist who won five Tour de France titles from 1969-1974. “It’s very sad.”

Quotes from espn.com

Kurt Cavanaugh
Sports Editor

Men’s Basketball (15-10, 11-7 ODAC)

Feb. 11 Beat Washington & Lee 79-44

Leaders: J. Connor 7 pts, 3 resb, J. Clarke 15 pts, 5 rebs, T. Swindell 2 pts, 2 rebs, C. Martin 4 pts, 2 rebs, D. Clyburn 5 pts, 1 reb, J. Taylor 12 pts, 10 rebs, R. Spence 9 pts, 2 rebs, G. Lawhorn 10 pts, 8 rebs, E. Williams 4 pts, 5 rebs, R. Bradford 6 pts, T. Miller 5 pts, R. Poteat 1 reb.

Feb. 14 Lost to Roanoke 96-90

Leaders: C. Marting 23 pts, 3 rebs, J. Connor 9 pts, 9 rebs, J. Clarke 15 pts, 4 rebs, T. Swindell 14 pts, 5 rebs, J. Taylor 1 reb, R. Spence 2 pts, G. Lawhorn 15 pts, 2 rebs, E. Williams 12 pts, 7 rebs, R. Bradford 2 pts, 1 reb.

Women’s Basketball (14-8, 12-6 ODAC)

Feb. 13 Beat Eastern Mennonite 69-61

Leaders: Robertson 13 pts, 6 rebs, J, Hardenbergh 1 reb, J. King 12 pts, 6 rebs, D. Burke 13 pts, 7 rebs, N. McCrory 10 pts, 2 rebs, L. Johnson 2 pts, 1 reb, J, Keichline 1 reb, K. Burger 2 pts, 2 rebs, D. Graham 1 reb, K. Casey 1 reb.

Feb. 14 Beat Bridgewater 71-51

Leaders: Robertson 24 pts, 4 rebs, J. Hardenbergh 16 pts, 10 rebs, J. King 8 pts, 3 rebs, D. Burke 2 pts, 7 rebs, N. McCrory 10 pts, 3 rebs, L. Johnson 2 pts, 2 rebs, J. Keichline 1 reb, K. Burger 9 pts, 1 reb, D. Graham 1 reb, K. Casey 1 reb.

Baseball (1-3, 0-0 ODAC)

Feb. 10 Lost to Methodist 8-2

Leaders: McCauley 1-3, B. Slate 1-4, M. Chelenza 1-3, J. Renegar 1-1.

Feb. 14 Lost to Chowan 11-4.