Glitz, glamour, and the Golden Globe Awards

Sex and The City star Sarah Jessica Parker.  (http://hfpa.org/html/Photogallery.html)
“Sex and The City” star Sarah Jessica Parker. (http://hfpa.org/html/Photogallery.html)

It is rare when stars of both television and film come together in the same place for the same cause. But when they do, we find out who kicked whose ass.
Last Sunday, we got that chance at the 61st Annual Golden Globes.
“A lot of people who deserved to win, did,” said junior Christine Berryman. “The Golden Globes matter more for television than movies. They’re kind of a weird awards show.”
For television, it previewed the upcoming Emmys.
Sweeping the television awards was the HBO series Angels in America. About the early days of AIDS, the two-part mini-series won five awards, including Best Mini-Series or Made for T.V. Movie.
Best Actor and Actress in a Mini-Series went to Angels’ Al Pacino and Meryl Streep. Jeffrey Wright and Mary Louise Parker also won for their supporting roles.
For the fifth year running, Will and Grace was snubbed. British comedy The Office won for Best T.V. Comedy and Best Actor in a Television Comedy for Ricky Gervais.
In the twilight years of Sex and the City, Sarah Jessica Parker was awarded her fifth Golden Globe, repeating her 1999 through 2003 wins.
Often called a preview of the Oscars, many Golden Globe winners were repeated in Tuesday’s release of Oscar nominations.
The Lord of the Rings: Return of the King received four Globes for Best Picture – Drama, Director, Original Score, and Original Song (Annie Lennox’s “Into the West”).
“I was glad to see Lord of the Rings win getting well awarded,” junior Greg Spahlinger said. “I hope it is a good sign for the Oscars.”
Sean Penn took Best Actor for a Movie – Drama for Mystic River. Co-star Tim Robbins received the first award of the evening for Best Supporting Actor, joking as he accepted that he could now start drinking and enjoy the show.
Charlize Theron, Academy Award favorite, won Best Actress for her portrayal of serial killer Aileen Carol Wuernos in Monster, a true story about a prostitute recently executed for killing seven men.
“I read an article about her Transformation – very interesting,” said student Carra Woodham. “It’s nice when women aren’t afraid to get nasty-looking for a part.”
Renee Zellwegger, another Oscar favorite, took Best Supporting Actress for Cold Mountain. Twice denied the Oscar for her roles in Bridget Jones’ Diary and Chicago, Zellweger is the clean favorite for the Oscar this year, her Globe win solidifying her status as a serious contender.
Diane Keaton won her first major award in 26 years for her role of the middle-aged playwright in Something’s Gotta Give.
Best Actor in a Comedy went to Bill Murray for Sofia Coppola’s masterpiece, Lost in Translation, and Coppola herself won the Best Screenplay award.
The Golden Globes start the entertainment industry’s award season, proving a preview of things to come.