Sitkovetsky speaks to music students

He was trained intensely in classical music. He fled the Soviet Union under false pretenses. He avoided a harsh service in Stalin’s navy. He likes the Beatles.
Dmitry Sitkovetsky, music director and conductor of the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra has seen many things.
Sitkovetsky’s exceptional life was just one of the things he discussed on the morning of Jan. 21 with a group of music students and faculty in Boren Lounge. He also discussed his life as a professional conductor and performer, and music from Bach to The Beatles.
While the college may not have an orchestra, Sitkovetsky’s discussion of a profession in music applies to many music students here who are considering careers in music.
Sitkovetsky was raised in Russia in a musical family, and was educated in the highly competitive fine art schools of Russia. He left the Soviet Union in the ’70s by pretending to have tendonitis so the government would believe he could no longer play violin. The government had a policy of not allowing exceptional artists to leave the country, but since they believed Sitkovetsky could no longer play, believed he “no longer provided a service for the country.”
Sitkovetsky’s eagerness to tell stories and his childlike wonder and enthusiasm during his discussion made it obvious that he was raised in what he calls “one of the most famous Russian kitchens, with people gathering all the time.”
“One of the neatest things about him was that he was so laid-back, much more so than you’d think someone who was educated in a conservatory in Moscow would be,” Chris Wells, a sophomore who plans to major in music, said.
Sitkovetsky’s charm and open demeanor was surprising to most people who attended the discussion. “He was much more verbal and friendly than I anticipated,” Tim Lindeman, an associate professor of music and chairman of the department of music, said. “I thought it was a great experience for us to sit down in an informal atmosphere as opposed to the symphony where he is the boss.”
Sitkovetsky said he loves classical music, but also enjoys jazz and rock ‘n roll. “Whenever I’m in my car, I guarantee I’m not listening to classical … I love good pop songs,” Sitkovetsky said.
In addition to conducting and directing the Greensboro Symphony Orchestra, Sitkovetsky is a violin virtuoso who performs numerous concerts each year with various orchestras and ensembles all over the world.